Refunding Non-Refundable rate when hotel is sold out?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by marlib, Oct 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. marlib

marlib Active Member

Status Points:
    I've got no status with Hilton and our reservation is 6 days away at the Embassy Suites Lakefront Chicago. The hotel is sold out during our stay and we have 4 total rooms and need to cancel two of them. The terms state we have to pay the deposit on the 2 rooms we are canceling which we'll pay if we have to, but I was wondering if anyone had success on a full refund where the hotel is sold out like this? Since I've got no Hilton status I am not too optimistic but thought I would ask around.

Thanks!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will probably say that non-refundable rates are handled through corporate so no refunds will be allowed.. It's worth asking the property but they will probably transfer you to corporate who will then tell you what I just said.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Issues like this are always best handled at the local level I suggest you call the property NOW ( so that they will/would have time to return the two rooms to inventory) Plead your case or even suggest that you wouldnt mind staying at later date (if that works)

anabolism and iolaire like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't handled at the local level when I had to cancel a non-refundable/pre-paid reservation with Hilton last year... Instead, they told me to call corporate since they already collected my payment..

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I have managed to do this I would say about six times within the last 15 years and everytime I got it done by directly calling the property I had booked.:)

Although it has not been mentioned ( in this thread at least) and is not relevant to the OP the Diamond desk is powerless under these circumstances and has recommended that a call directly to the hotel is in order.

iolaire likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think the revenue manager or the front desk manager at the hotel would be the right place to start. It never hurts to ask!

7. marlib

marlib Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys!!

I actually am a bit of an idiot and totally forgot I have gold status from a promotion so I'm going to call, add my Hilton number and also see if they can refund. Not sure if gold will help either but worth a shot!

Thanks for the tips on which person to talk to, I'm not too familiar with all the different roles.

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur. In my experience, the local people are usually the ones most able and wiling to help. If you'll be staying there later that helps a lot, and I'd guess being sold out with time to resell the rooms should also help.

There is a special number to call at Hilton for requests to cancel non-refundable non-changeable rates. They may be best if thec eservation was recently made and has an obvious error (wrong hotel, wrong month, meant 1 night but booked 100, etc.). This is the exception to the "usually" above.

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint

9. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought you can always change non-refundable reservations for Hilton hotels.

10. Lkohawaii

Lkohawaii Active Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled for a client at a Hilton direct with the property. I just said the clients couldn't make it and the hotel wasn't sold out. This was in Anaheim. Try all they can say is no.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had several this year that were non-refundable and non-changeable.

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stopped booking Advance Purchase (AP) stays after I got stuck with one such stay that I needed to cancel for a personal reason but Hilton (local or corporate) refused to let me, forfeiting the full amount that I had paid at the time of booking...

Although they usually offer better rates, AP stays can cost you if your plans change and you absolutely must cancel...