Refundable First cheaper than Refundable Business

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Garp74, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked IAD<->WAW today for a May trip. Looking at the livery and equipment options, I chose LH because of the new 787-8i going between IAD and FRA. Because it's business travel, I have to book refundable fares. I was very surprised to be selecting First Basic II over Business Select II. First was $100 cheaper in fare + taxes than Business. The refund fee is a little more, but that's not what I'm expensing - I'm expensing the total fare + taxes. The website said First Basic II would not allow me to reserve seats; that they would be assigned on check-in. When I paid for the fare, however, it allowed me to select seats.

Just thought I would share in case someone here finds themselves booking refundable business on LH. Look at the First Basic II fare!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting travel policy... does your company have any job openings? :p :D

downhillcrasher likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the policy is to use refundable fares, I'm surprised that FULLY refundable (without fees) fares aren't required.

I hope the OP has read the fare rules carefully. I'm suspicious that the First Basic II is more restrictive with respect to changes than the Business Select II. There's some reason it's cheapeer.

Garp74 likes this.
  4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Unless J is close to filling up and F is wide open. Ticket pricing never ceases to amaze me. Regardless, congrats on picking up the LH F ticket for less than the J fare, Garp74.

Garp74 likes this.
  5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point. F had two seats reserved outbound and no seats reserved on the return. I never saw the J seating chart.