Refund

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, May 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked a flight on Saturday, e ticket received, canceled it 30 minutes later, used my debit card for payment. The funds are on hold, UA has not actually taken the money from the account yet. How long should I give UA to release the hold off the money before I call them?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure the rule is 7 business days.

Also, don't buy with a debit card.

3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had to use my US debit card as I do not have a US credit card since I live in Canada, besides the airfare was $300.00 less in US funds, but still can fly from Vancouver, don't have to go Seattle, in fact the airfare was a bit higher when booked as a return from SEA, and have used the debit card to purchase flights in the past. This is the first flight I have canceled in the past 15 years.

4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get why you used a debit card but it is way more dangerous to expose your debit card plus no travel benefits, harder to dispute charges, etc. etc. What if they don't refund your money and just charge your debit card? Way harder to dispute this with your bank. That being said I'm not sure there is a great solution for you. Maybe a Canadian credit card using US funds or a US dollar visa gift card approach.

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand what your saying and i do agree with you. I do have the canceled PNR in my mileage plus account so dont think they can keep the payment if they do take it. My debt card is with Chase and they did offer me a work around to get a cc using my Canadian address if I would keep a minimum balance of $10,000 in the account for a period of time. I may do this next time I visit the bank

daninstl likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but at least with airlines you have the DOT route to get some traction on such issues. IIRC, UA was fined a nice sum of money for refund shenanigans a while ago...

http://www.dot.gov/briefing-room/do...efunds-airline-also-filed-inaccurate-and-late

In general, though, the recommendation to not use a debit card is a good one.

Counsellor and daninstl like this.