Refund on a "non-refundable" ticket

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Jan 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked a non-refundable ticket in May 2012 SCL-ORD-SCL via DFW, but wasn't able to use it since a work trip came up at the same time. AA gave me a non-transferable credit for the amount and one year to use it, same point of origin, etc., as per norm. I verified my options with multiple AAgents, and never once was a refund an option - they each confirmed that it was a non-refundable fare.

Just booked the same routing for less money, so the change fee was paid for out of the credit, and I was told that I would be sent a check for the remaining unused balance (around US$250). This took me by surprise - does anyone have a similar experience? I was fully anticipating losing the $ that remained after booking the new ticket.

IDGflygirl, marcwint55 and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally you would be issued another credit voucher for the remaining balance so dont be surprised if you instead of a check that is what you receive... one good thing is that the new voucher will be valid for another year.

marcwint55 and zpaul like this.
  3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either way it's better than what I expected! Most of my money goes to travel as it is...;)

IDGflygirl and marcwint55 like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is what happens....the pain-in-the-arse factor is you need to present the voucher in person to redeem it.

zpaul likes this.
  5. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    @NYBanker - This is not true. Most competent travel agents will accept them as well.

marcwint55 and zpaul like this.
  6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this case, since I live in Chile, it is a "pain in the arse." When I had a $75 voucher a couple of years ago, I made my booking online, had to hold it, call AA in the US, pay for it over the phone giving them all of the voucher info plus my credit card, send a scanned copy of the voucher via email and then FedEx the voucher to Fort Worth (I was told it had to arrive within a week of making the booking), which in this case cost almost the amount of the voucher. Since the voucher was issued in the US, it can only be used there, regardless of booking direct or via an agent.

If I do receive a voucher this time, I plan to have my mother (good ol' Mom!) hold onto it and send it from the US so I don't pay half of its value in postage!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. Shaddz

Shaddz Active Member

Status Points:
    Last November I had to fly from Miami to Port of Spain before my scheduled flight. It was a nonrefundable ticket. How were you able to get credit for it? I would have liked to get a credit also?

8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even with a non-refundable ticket, if you call ahead of time and cancel it AA will hold the value as a credit for future travel up to one year from the date the ticket was issued. The key is calling to cancel the flight; otherwise you're considered a no-show and lose everything.