Refund of taxes on unused ticket?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Exiled in Express, Apr 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the first time in my travel life I have a ticket I will not be flying. It was purchased in T and has a value of under $100 so I know the fare portion is a lost cause. Do I stand a chance of requesting a refund of the taxes collected?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is unlikely. If you buy a shirt on sale for $40 + $4 sales tax with a no refund policy (due to the sale) and decide you don't want it, you aren't allowed to return it so you can't get your sales tax back.

Airfare is different, of course, since you could argue that the $100 limit only applies to the base fare portion and not the taxes and fees. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Your best bet is to file the refund request anyway. Either you get nothing, or you get something, but you won't get anything if you don't ask.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  3. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

alpinesoccer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exiled...that is a very good question.
    I did a little google searching and came up with this website.
    http://www.elliott.org/blog/surpris...red-to-refund-taxes-on-nonrefundable-tickets/

Basically, you can always ask but will probably get no refund. Its always worth asking...all they can say is no.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  4. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are likely differences between Europe and USA in this, but I have done this 3 or 4 times and have advised many others to do so - always with success.
    All of these have been on European carriers and it have never been an issue to get the taxes refunded, not even with notorious bad service Iberia. Some have initially said it was not possible but a slight push have always given success. It should be done before the flight though, in general I think it's most safe to do it at least 24 hours before, but I have also once done it only 3 hours before the flight.
    I think you should absolutely try to call in - twice if the first CS agent refuses.

5. JFKSFOLAX_friend

JFKSFOLAX_friend Active Member

Status Points:
    I think a shirt is different than an airline ticket. Remember, many of the taxes are "use" fees. If you don't use, you should get those fees back, at least, no?

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

I think the issue is whether the airline is obligated to pay the government the security, etc. fees based on ticket sales or based on passengers flown.

7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can never hurt to try!

8. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Denied, and the Contract of Carriage (rule 270/B/1) is explicitly clear about this:

Delta will not refund any portion of a fare that is nonrefundable, and Delta will not refund any taxes, fees or charges collected upon nonrefundable tickets.

I won the T fare gamble many times in the past so DL was due for some free money. Now does DL forward the taxes and fees portions to the appropriate agencies as though I flew or the income statement?

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, if DL isn't paying these taxes (and since they are refunded for refundable tickets, I would assume that DL pays them only if the passenger actually takes the flight), they might be legally obligated to refund them, even if they would prefer not to do so, although I guess they could impose a service charge for doing so.

I think something like this was discussed recently, maybe for fuel surcharges and maybe for some foreign government and foreign carrier.