Refund of bag fees

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Horse, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not every bad, idiotic decision that an airline makes ought to be illegal.

It's pretty darned offensive to charge to deliver a bag... not deliver that bag.. and refuse to refund the fee. But guess what, it's actually not uncommon, have you ever tried to recover postage from the US Postal Service when mail was misdelivered, not delivered, or even mutilated? And that is the governmnet. (Ok, it's a quasi-government agency with a legal monopoly.)

This seems to me though to be ripe for plenty of journalistic outrage, and complaining here :D

But a law or regulation? Not really sure it rises to that level. I don't think we ought to be micro-managing checked bag fees and procedures.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK it's always been disclosed that he bag fees are nonrefundable and I think the airlines can argue that they do eventually deliver the bag to you. They incurred the cost of handling and transporting it, without any guarantee of timely performance.

The situation in which they should be obligated to refund the fee is those rare cases when the bag is permanently lost.

Alternatively, if airlines refund the fees for lost bags, they could stop paying for immediate replacement items (which I don't think is required), but this would tend to hurt elites who check bags for free, but still sometimes experience delayed bags.

4. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Naturally the Airlines will rightly fight this tooth and nail as those fees generate phenomenal and (almost) predictable cash flow streams.

From a customer service side, however, there should be some compensation given for a bag that is delayed more than one day (for non red-eyes). For red-eyes, the compensation period should be much shorter considering the need for fresh garments.

I presume that these would not apply should a person arrive at his home airport.

5. Finally an idea from the government that makes sense.