Refreshed Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Kalboz, Aug 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    H/T to the Frequent Miler blog! The Ritz 140K offer. Should you take it?

I haven't tried to call but it looks interesting for the next churn as I believe you can transfer 140K RC points to 50K miles on many airline programs, see here: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Rewards/RedeemingRewards/AirMileage.htm

2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have this card, it's definitely one of my favorite credit cards these days. I'm definitely keeping it.

I'd take (what I took when I signed up a while back) first year free +70K points. Gives lounge access to hundreds of lounges around the world and I've actually used the lounge access many times already even if I have highest OW and Star status. For example, at the UX terminal at SFO, you get access to the Alaska Boardroom (and to many others)

I've used it in places like Cancun, Copenhagen and Dallas, random places where your regular stuff doesn't work if you're not on a specific carrier.

And those 3 annual club upgrades has netted me heaps. For example: Got a very decent around 350USD rate a night at the RC Laguna Niguel, the best resort in Southern California. Club rooms were 749 night for the 5 nights we're staying, so saved thousands, especially since the Club has real Champagne 24/7 and 5 offerings a day.

Also, 200 dollars for airline incidentals.

So again, I'm keeping it, especially when I know that Marriott has big plans for this card

Newscience and Kalboz like this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just wanna stay at the Ritz everyday...for free. Is there card for that? :)

Newscience, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noted, here are the listed benefits: https://www.theritzcarltonrewardscard.com/1100042?card=F4S9&CELL=6Z7D&SPID=F4S9&MSC=RC06

Although the benefits are substantial, I am in it mainly to replenish my Marriott account balance, and if my efforts to get the 140K MR points card are successful, I will be that much closer to get one of these Hotel & Air Packages: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/the-best-use-for-marriott-points.31282/
    Care to share or hint what Marriott's plans are! ;)

Newscience, Thomask and uggboy like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "incidentals" credit works for airline GCs too. :)

Between that, the avoided cost of the club upgrades and the annual value of gold status, I too am actually renewing the card.

Newscience, tommy777 and Kalboz like this.
  6. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you apply for the RC CC and you have a MR account, will the full 140K points post to the MR account? Or does your account need to be designated for RC?

Newscience, boondr and Kalboz like this.
  7. FrenchCaliFlyer

FrenchCaliFlyer New Member

Status Points:
    I took the 70k no fee offer but starting to wonder if the 140k one is better offer given that nights where I want to go (Tahoe for instance) are >$500 most of the time - wonder if I can ping Chase to switch the offer

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The entire relationship between the two brands and their respective loyalty programs is explained here: http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthe...be-a-marriott-rewards-or-ritz-carlton-member/

A call to Chase wouldn't hurt ... and, please, let us know of the outcome! :)

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  9. kneemuh
    Original Member

kneemuh Silver Member

Status Points:
    This offer is still valid; I am on the phone with Chase right now opening an account using the F53K 70K bonus offer.

10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just a heads up in regards to the confirmed club upgrades. My first couple of upgrades worked well, but they were not at super desirable properties.

I have to say there are some really annoying hoops to jump through to get the upgrades confirmed, none of which are mentioned in the T&Cs.

Example: Booked the cheapest eligible rate, AAA (corp rates, promotional rates and conference rates do not apply) and tried to call to upgrade. The last time I tried this property, they did not have the right category (there are 3 club level categories, the cheapest category needs to be available) most of the year, it is not available, so I was happy to find availability.

Not so fast.

They don't upgrade the cheapest rooms, you need to be in at least a Garden View in order to be eligible for an upgrade. That room costs 90 dollars more per night and is only 130 dollars cheaper than the actual club room rate. If a club room is available at check in, you will be able to buy it for 150 a night.

So in conclusion, a lot of rates are not eligible. In addition, the lowest room category on the Club level needs to be available. And finally, not all rooms (even if it's best available non prepaid rates) qualify for an upgrade.

Got a "if everything aligns" sort of feeling, none of which are mentioned in the T&Cs.

I ended up canceling this particular stay after 4 phone calls

11. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the only way to apply for this great signup bonus is to call?

12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes!

Newscience and SuperKirby like this.
  13. pwkwg779

pwkwg779 Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone called Chase recently to see if these two offers are still LIVE?

I'm planning my next churn. ...In a few weeks, maybe I'll just need to call Chase. If these offers are no longer valid, I'll need to go for the alternate offer, where you pay the annual fee, but receive a $200 gift card: https://theritzcarltonrewardscard.com/200

14. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Called today, agent asked for invitation code. When I said I had discarded the mail, he attempted to look it up by both my name and my wife's name and zip code. No go. Offered 70k but no first year fee waived. Just one data point... not sure if it's dead or if HUCA would work with a different agent.

15. pwkwg779

pwkwg779 Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to report back. ...I chickened out and didn't call to ask for the offer targeted to Ritz Carlton timeshare holders. Not seeing others were able to get that offer to work, I applied for the public offer that includes a $200 gift card: https://theritzcarltonrewardscard.com/200 ...Anyway, in November I created a registry for myself at United.com and then used my Ritz card to send small payments (on a number of days in 2013) to my registry. Later, I logged into my Chase account and sent a secure message, asking for these "incidental" fees to be refunded. Within 36 hours Chase replied by secure message that the money would reappear in my next statement. In the next few months, I'll repeat the deposits (with a new secure message) in 2014, as the $200 airline credit is for each calendar year. So this $395 card yields: $200 Ritz Carlton gift card (useful for buying meals, even when not staying in a Ritz Carlton), $400 in the airline account of your choice, 70,000 Marriott points, Marriott Gold status for 1 year, and a metallic credit card that friends find at least a little bit entertaining when you pass it around at a restaurant. Although this may not yield the biggest bonus, this card is nonetheless a solid offer. Oh, and Chase ships this card in a cool black box. Fun.

16. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airline credit with ritz seems to be very YMMV. Really depends on the CSR handling the request. When I first had the card, I was able to get them to refund charges made in the airport, prior to flying- food and gifts. But every time I called in later in the year to use more of the $200. The CSR asked about the airport charges and I had to explain that a supervisor had granted me an exception. It's as if they have to look at all credits and total them in real time so they know how much of the credit is available.

I canceled when annual fee was due and recently opened up new card (mainly for club upgrade certs) for my wife. We used the $200gc link and it came very quickly after our first purchase.

I also hate metal cards, so I had them send me plastic version. Front desk clerk checking us out last week had never seen such a light Ritz card! :)

Kalboz likes this.
  17. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I got this card today, do you think I would receive the benefits on a stay 5/10?

Kalboz likes this.
  18. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    After reading the VFTW post, I'm still unclear as to whether you can combine points from Marriott & Ritz.

Could I do the following?

Get Marriott 70k CC with Marriott account
    Switch my Marriott -> RC account
    Get RC 140k (if still available) CC
    Switch RC -> Marriott
    Use my 210k MR points towards a Hotel + Air package

Kalboz likes this.
  19. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    success!! applied for 70,000 points with fee waived using Kalboz's RSVP code. Thanks!! (hoping this is true as well... http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2014/05/02/price-marriott-platinum-status-just-went/)

ps also got the 40,000 US Airways and 100,000 aadvantage citi card (after being denied for both multiple times over the last few months); pending approval on BOA Alaska pers and bus 90 day churn as well. Already a good day, could be a great day!!

Kalboz likes this.
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the idea ... YMMV, however!
    Congratulations! :)

Newscience likes this.
  21. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know that for a fact (about GC)? Have you done it yourself? After the qualifying airline spend you have to call RC to have those charges credited. And they don't even allow for a lounge day passes. I spoke to them on the phone and they pretty much said: "only inflight spend, including seat upgrades".

Kalboz likes this.
  22. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done it three years running. I do need to call each year.

If fairness, one year the agent said my purported baggage fee purchases weren't covered. I told them they were mistaken (they were), and when they checked with the supervisor, they told me indeed I was covered.

They do cover lounge access fees. From their website:

Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more. Simply use your card for these expenses and call us at 1-855-896-2222, and we will refund the charges after your flight.

foxberg and Kalboz like this.
  23. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! It seems you know more then the CS rep I spoke to. So 4x$50 in AA GC bought at once should be covered then if claimed as lounge passes?

24. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like southwest charges $75 for an oversized bag. Do that 4 times. Easy to explain too, 2 round trip flights. There's got to be fees like that for every airline.

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, but then I have to fly Southwest. ;)