Refreshed Choice Menu – ‘Bistro on Board’ Starting August 1

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Aug 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

You may have seen some of the buzz about our buy-on-board menu refresh a few months back—and now we are ready to launch the newly redesigned Choice Menu with significant updates to our fresh food options. Here are some of the highlights:
    • ‘Bistro on Board’ – Completely redesigned fresh food menu: We’re introducing chef-inspired choices available on select flights over 3.5 hours. New breakfast items include an ‘energy’ selection with a hard-cooked egg, cheese, grapes, wheat roll and almond butter. For lunch and dinner, we’ve retained popular items such as the artisan cheese selection and Asian-style noodle salad, and added new ones including a vegetarian caprese baguette.
    • More hot items and consistency between aircraft: Select items at breakfast, lunch and dinner will be available either hot or cold—meaning there will no longer be menu differences between aircraft types on the same route. To help further close this gap, we’ll be installing ovens in United Economy on certain aircraft (like ex-Ted A320s). And on longer flights to Hawaii, we’ll offer hot items like a chicken stir-fry.
    • Seasonal menu changes: The Bistro on Board items will change seasonally, with new menu items coming in October.
    • More efficient and sustainable packaging: We’ve streamlined the packaging, allowing us to board more fresh items when demand permits, using more recyclable materials and creating less overall waste than before.
    Along with Bistro on Board, we’ll continue to offer Snack Shop snack boxes (Tapas, Classic, Savory) and popular snacks (e.g. granola bars and hummus with pita chips) on most North America and Latin America flights over 2 hours.

The full menu will be uploaded to united.com today, and there is also an expanded placement in this month’s Hemispheres magazine. Enjoy!

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

unavaca, 8MiHi, Max M and 9 others like this.
  2. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Praises be to the d.r.S.L. for the improvements. I will weep quietly at my seat, however, if the cheeseburger ever goes away.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's off the menu right now, and given that the new "warm" options can be served either hot or cold, I kind of doubt it will be back on the buy-on-board menu until all of the sUA aircraft have ovens in Y.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    How will the hot or cold options work? On certain length flights will they be served cold and on longer flights served hot? Or are the FAs going to go back to the galley to heat items up on request?

Overall, I'm glad to see a refresh of the menu.

Thanks for the information Aaron.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like the new options, but dissapointed if the cheeseburger goes away, I actually liked that one. Funny I just replied to a survey on in-flight food options last week from them.

8MiHi likes this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:

Ovens on the A320s! Yay! A recognition that the on board food supply matters. The A320 can be a comfortable machine if well-provided with amenities and we all know that UA's are behind the curve here. B6 has a comfy A320 fit.

Food... I took the tour of the IAH kitchens at one of the CO DOs and although some customers may beef - ha- about food choice/taste/quality, the logistics of providing certified food onboard for an operation like sCO are not easy. Any improvement is welcome.

Now what about the horrendous non-caloric experience of flying to/from HI in Y on the various 757s?

Please lead by example and try these routes yourself if you haven't already done so. In your management, don't do what Jeff Robbo does over at DL and trumpet product "quality" without ever having to use it. That's Jeff Robbo style and UA can do without that. It would be really impressive for UA to actually offer product that's best in class and not, you know...

8MiHi and Max M like this.
  7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wondered that as well. Or, will catering just load those items to the ovens on airplanes that have them, and on airplanes that don't, they'll be served cold?

As much as I hate to go there, if it's up to the FA to determine whether or not it's served hot or cold, well, with some crews…

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still no gluten-free items, so this means I'm still stuck with bring-on-board.

Meh.

8MiHi likes this.
  9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is all very nice, when are you going to start catering in KOA? When I am in coach, the F/As always say the do not have the fresh selection. You have more than a few seats in and out of that airport.

8MiHi and desamo like this.
  10. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know when is the ordering going to be made simpler? I have always advocated being able to order on line prior to the flight, and even being able to pay for the items at that time. While I realize that I could be upgraded to F, a simple solution would be to either cancel the order if enough time existed between upgrade and flight (CPU) or just refund the payment. (I realize that there may be some waste in this option but I suspect that the cost savings from pre-ordering would far surpass that small loss).
    I also suspect that you would sell a lot more food if it was available to buy at booking.

Zomby Woof and ssullivan like this.
  11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some surveys UA has been running online with targeted passenger groups have hinted that some of the things you suggest here might be in the works.

8MiHi likes this.
  12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Would I pre-order a gluten-free meal (especially one not subject to the whims of SFO's idea that gluten-free also must mean bland meal)? Yes, yes I would.

8MiHi likes this.
  13. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When are refreshes coming to F meals?

ssullivan and Black Cloud like this.
  14. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw the new menu last night on LGA-IAH and it looks like a few good choices. I will miss the parfait only because it was a quick, single container (small) item and easy to consume on a 7am flight.

Flyer1976, ssullivan and genemk2 like this.
  15. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried the new roast beef and cheddar baguette for lunch this afternoon on DEN-BWI and found it pretty good. It was certainly better than some of what I've had in F lately. The sandwich was very fresh and had been warmed enough the cheese was nicely melted. It could have been a bit hotter, but that was probably mostly a factor of how long it has been out of the oven before serving. The beef had good flavor and was not overcooked, and the horseradish spread added just the right kick to it. Overall, I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars, and would order it again.

Here are some pictures I took before eating it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will also miss the cheeseburger as well as the ham on pretzel roll which is now only on routes that I don't often take. I do like the noodle box, but its a bit small.

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I liked the ham on pretzel bread as well. But, the new variety appeals much more to my whole family as opposed to just me. Mark me down as one of the people not upset the cheeseburger is gone. It was fine, but there are much better cheeseburgers to save my cholesterol intake for. I'm more of a medium rare than twice cooked guy. :)

8MiHi, rggale, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  18. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its all about the Asian/Thai noodle salad. I've declined the meal in domestic first class a few times ( some of it is borderline questionable ) , and purchased that from Economy. Usually the FA's obliged as long as I don't expect it for free. (which I don't )

19. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I liked it, but agreed it's not a terrible loss. If I'm going to eat a non-gourmet burger, it's gonna be a double double animal style protein style, or one from that place with the peanuts, heaping cups of cajun fries, and a shitload of condiment options ;)

20. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like a good sandwich. How much does it cost?

21. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm a big fan of both which is why I'd prefer not to eat a burger on a plane.

22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm a big fan of both which is why I'd prefer not to eat a burger on a plane.

23. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    $8.99

24. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I, for one, am very happy to see a vegetarian option, beyond the cheese plate (which is what I've usually been buying).

genemk2 likes this.
  25. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've generally always bought the tapas or cheese plate (occasionally both) and cursed my lack of gluten-free crackers.