Answered: refresh post problem returns

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Remember the problem during the SMD contest, where people would hit the post button, the hourglass would turn a moment, and stop, and it appeared the missive hadn't posted? Then they would either refresh and see the post was there, or hit the post button again and end up creating duplicate posts.

Well, that problem has returned, it's been going on in the FL* thread for the past hour. Multiple users have noted the problem.

2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It only seems to be happening in the FL thread. I have posted since to other threads without the issue.

savydog, lin821 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems to happen to most high volume threads at one time or another. I notice is regularly when i am on such threads. It seems to be rare otherwise. IME anyway.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    once again we are testing the servers and uncovering the limits. Keep up the good work, megaposters! :p

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Yes, we know that there are some problems happening in the larger threads, in any case that you can specify an action that you make that consistently causes an error in these thread this is helpful. Thanks!

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    When replying to the thread, either quote or not, you hit "post reply. The grey action indicator in the top right goes for a few minutes as normal. When it is done, all text in the reply box is still there and there is no refresh of the page to show your post you just made or ones that have come in since you last refreshed the page.

The posts are posting. It is just the after post action that is tripping up. Where it refreshes to show you your post and a current version of the thread.

Hope this helps.

7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Very much so, thanks Tenmoc

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The two threads where this has been noted are, I believe, two of only three threads to hit over 60k posts, and I believe in each case it didn't begin until after hitting that level.

The third thread, Post a random number, has a different posting profile- instead of a dozen or more different members posting within an hour, it will have a single poster who makes dozens (hundreds?) of consecutive posts followed by , all from the same IP address. I would expect that puts less strain on the database or the servers.

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And the count backwards thread is getting to that level, but posting patterns are like the random number thread (individual participants posting many consecutive posts, but very few different people posting per 24 hour period) so if my guess is right, that one won't trigger the problem.

On which other threads (besides the FL* and SMD) have you noticed it? That info could be helpful.

10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are the only two I have seen it and yes, both after 60k.

lin821, jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    lin821, jbcarioca, Tenmoc and 4 others like this.
  13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    not fixed, despite the server reboot or whatever it was that just took MP down. :(

lin821, jbcarioca, Tenmoc and 3 others like this.
  14. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is frozen.

lin821, jbcarioca, Tenmoc and 2 others like this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    mid august, more likely a melt down than a freeze. Whatever it was, the post refresh problem is still there.

lin821, jbcarioca, Tenmoc and 2 others like this.
  16. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tim,
    In the FL* Lounge thread, we've begun some discussion about the possibility of starting a new lounge thread to continue discussion. I think that it would be best to archive the older posts to one thread but retain the most recent few thousand posts in an open thread where they can be quoted and conversation can continue without obstructions.

What are the technical options for doing this? Would it be easy to move the first 60K posts to a closed thread? Or would it be easy to move the last 4K+ posts to a new thread? Or would such a split be impractical?

I'm trying to give consideration to the fact that many people are subscribed to the thread and that it would be nice for them to be automatically subscribed to the new Lounge thread.

To help the community decide whether to request such action, could you give an opinion about what the odds are for fixing this issue this week? Should the members hope for a fix or prepare for an alternative solution such as starting a new thread?

lin821, Chimpy, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    However, that is a kludge to avoid a problem, not a fix for an underlying server problem. We now know that this has hit 100% (all three) threads with over 63k posts. Are other forums that use XenForo experiencing the same problem, or is it due to specifics in how Milepoint is configured and implements memory/storage?

A quick look at the XenForo community forum shows a different memory problem coming up with threads over 70k posts. (that could have kicked in at 63 k and they didn't notice)
    http://xenforo.com/community/thread...g-multiple-posts-in-very-large-threads.18286/
    So there might be a basic issue in the software design, hits a wall at that point.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm starting to feel like we failed to test this properly during beta. We should have tried much harder to get many more posts in the I Want To Be Liked thread. Instead, we were having fun testing the video capacities with dancing chimps and many smilies/thumbs up images in posts.

19. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the issue could be related to the number of pages rather than the number of posts. If the number of posts per page were increased, we might could assess this. Could the problem be related to the scrollable page navigation tool, for example?

Chimpy, jbcarioca, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also noticed it on only SMD and FL*

lin821, Chimpy, Freddie Listo and 3 others like this.
  21. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who knew that dancing chimps would not be a good enough test? ;)
    Agree...but it is hard to imagine us posting more in Beta than we did in the last week of Feb.....:eek:

lin821, Chimpy, Freddie Listo and 2 others like this.
  22. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly....initially in beta you had 40 posts per page....and then you could change it to 25 at your own decision.....
    2500 pages x 40 = 100000 posts.... :)

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I vaguely remember people asking for more posts per page, at least as an option, and then it became 40 for a while and then was changed to 25. I don't think we ever had a choice like on TOBB. Personally, I found 40 a bit awkward when one needed to convert between page number and post number in a thread, so I would have been happy with 50, although 25 seems to work reasonably well. When the changes were made, I remember discussions about whether the new number was applied to all previous pages or not and IIRC the answer was yes.

24. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recollection as well.
    Changing posts to 40 or 50 would be a nice idea...but somehow I have a feeling it is not a page issue (2500) as much as a post issue (63k or so).....

25. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because a short version of the following question just won't do...
    What makes you feel this way?

What characteristics on a page in a high postcount thread make it different from a page on a low postcount thread?