Refocusing & Cleaning up my efforts

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by 98mike, Jul 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last September I jumped into acquiring credit cards for sign-up bonuses with little to no plan. I wanted some free air for my spend and card use to cover some domestic family trips. Since better educating myself I know now I should refocus to ensure I'm taking full advantage and better prepared for future use of what I have stocked up and for the next churn. I never thought in terms of alliances, stocking for one hotel group or things like status or upgrades. I'm hoping to change that and wonder if I could please get some critique of my plan moving forward vs the items I'm holding.

Some details: Home airport: BWI. / Current score: 764 / I pay to fly (normally) only three times a year, all domestic, normally short haul.

Goals: A future (more than 18 mos from now) TBD int'l vacation and nearer future quarterly domestic jumps to common points (NOLA, MIA, LA, Chicago), prob three in the next year.

Cards Holding (Acquired Date):
    Chase Southwest (10/11), Sapphire Preferred (2/11) & Chase Ink Bold (4/11)
    Citibank AA (11/11) & Hilton (4/11)
    Barclay USAir (4/11)
    AMEX Hilton (4/11) - basic, not Suprass

Points I'm Holding:
    Bank: Ultimate Rewards combined @ 145k

Air: Southwest @ 13k, AA @ 9k & USAir @ 64k [I've used SWA and AA points for domestic trips]

Hotel: Hilton @ 95k (from cards), Radisson @ 67k (from Big Night) & Wyndham @ 28k (from Daily Getaways)

In order to start following the one hotel and one air group at this point I think UR is my best friend for air and Hilton is where I'm stocking up the most hotel. At the same time though this is my question -
    anyone see an opportunity I'm missing?

In my next turn I'm thinking of doing this to better focus on growing air and hotel, and diversify by bank:
    -Chase Brit Air (through booking offer, not spend) 50k now, 50k on Anniversary (perhaps use UR points to stock this account for int'l travel). In order for the 30k companion pass to work I would have to focus ONLY on this card. Tough for me to do.

-AMEX SPG (just because I was going to include an AMEX in this next churn) Should I be thinking of a different AMEX,

-Bank of America Virgin (to convert to Hilton points)

Sorry for the novel, just trying to give it all to see if I'm making obvious errors here. Much appreciated any feedback! I'm grateful!

Mikus33 and particlemn like this.
  2. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cancel my Citi HHonors card every 90 days then wait a week and reapply. I have doen this 6 times int he last 18 months each time getting the sign up bonus again. I would recommend doing this before you get one of the Bank of America cards (Hawaian Air or Virgin Atlantic) since both of those have annual fees that are not free first year.

MX and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW i did not know that; isnt there a spend Req in 3M or something & I remember with some programs you have to wait till after the 3rd month to cancel; else they will take back the points?

to the OP: I think the Virgin Offer is now 25k vs the previous 50k. You might wanna wait for that one; or go for the HA first at 35k.
    Also get the Freedom Card

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got this offer via email just today:

20,000 bonus miles after your first purchase
    25,000 additional bonus milesafter you spend at least $2,500 in qualifying purchases in the first 90 days
    15,000 Anniversary bonus milesafter qualifying purchases

5,000 bonus miles when adding two additional Cardmembers**

I haven't been following the Virgin offers and actually deleted the message, but just pulled it back out of the trash bucket for this reply :)

MX likes this.
  5. bearcat74

bearcat74 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got an email today from VA touting the 65K offer (well really the 50K offer easy) (20K first spend, 25K after 2.5K in 90 days, 5K for 2 auth users and 15K on first anniversary) good through the end of July so it is still out there. Probably will put it in my churn near the end of the month.

6. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    i have canceled and reapplied at 78 days as my earliest, but i usually wait the 90 days

7. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did receive the VA offer today as well which prompted adding it.

Any thoughts on Amex RPs for transfer to BA or AA as part of my churning instead of the SPG card?