Reduced or extra legroom in 767-200 bulkhead in J?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JALPak, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I checked seatguru and seatexpert, they gave me conflicting information regarding bulkhead legrooms on AA 767-200 used on transcontential flights.

Seatguru says row 7 has slightly reduced legroom due to bulkhead

Screen shot 2012-02-15 at 8.43.45 PM.png

But seatexpert says increased legroom

Screen shot 2012-02-15 at 8.44.14 PM.png

So I wonder which one is true :confused: I current have seat 7A reserved thanks to benolaa's generosity. But if there's reduced legroom due to bulkhead, I will just move to 8A instead :p

wiki seems to suggest most bulkhead has reduced legroom...so how bad is 7A vs 8A?

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I did a bit of search and found this trip report on TOBB http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1127200-another-singapore-first-class-rtw-adventure-sfo-jfk-fra-cdg-lhr-sin-hkg-sfo.html#post14672769

Legroom looks ok in bulkhead but...

[​IMG]

Same person same flight but it looks cramped in this pic

[​IMG]

This one doesn't look good either

[​IMG]

Can't figure the regular legroom from this pic either :(
    [​IMG]

There's another thread on TOBB that mentions reduced legroom in bulkhead seats...so I assume u don't get as much legroom in those and seatguru is correct in this case. But the question is how much less? Can you touch the bulkhead with your legs in the upright position say for a regular 6 feet person? Would you pick 8A over 7A in this case?

Oh well anything is better than the Y seat I originally got :p I will probably be very happy with either seat :)

zpaul likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've flown a lot of AA's aircraft, but being based in a mid-continent hub I've never done J on the 762. :(

I don't know for sure, but I suspect NYBanker might have experience with the product. I know he flies premium cabins often and is NY based so probably has encountered this aircraft before.

zpaul, JALPak and NYBanker like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi...yes, I'm all too familiar with this cabin.

Whilst I usually opt for AA over the other carriers (due to miles accumulation), AA's J is the worst of the lot on the transcon. Each of DL, UA and VX offer a superior in-flight experience in just about every regard. AA has the narrowest seats and the smallest pitch of any of the four carriers that operate proper transcons (meaning JFK-LAX/SFO). AA also has the second stingiest lounge access (only VX is more limited) for J pax on this route.

I usually will use a SWU to move to F on this flight whenever possible (noting I have had extra SWUs each year).

When I'm stuck in the J cabin, I usually go for the bulkhead. I'm not normally a bulkhead fan...but in this cabin, I am. The reason is simple...due to the tight pitch of the seats, if the guy in front of you goes to full recline, he is almost in your lap. I struggle to have my legrest extended and have my feet pointing straight up when the seat in front of me is fully down. It's just too bloody close together. The seat width is also the narrowest of the J service (or VX F) on this route.

While you might give up an inch of legroom in row 7 (the bulkhead), you can be pretty confident that the guy in front of you is going to recline at some point if you're not in the bulkhead.

I have a long blog post in nearly complete form on this topic. I'll get it up soon and link it here...it will have even more detail.

PedroNY, zpaul, JALPak and 2 others like this.
  5. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The D seats (center, single) in F are fantastic in my opinion. I've blown miles for F on JFK-LAX several times.

zpaul and NYBanker like this.
  6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW almost in your lap :eek: I will stick with 7A then. I can definitely live with losing 1 inch of legroom :p (hey that's a lot of inches gained over 20B :p)

Thanks! Looking forward to your post :)

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    zpaul likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the right call. Enjoy the flight...

zpaul and JALPak like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    In 2010 on in J, there was a problem with the middle section oxygen mask...it kept falling open...pilot came out to fix it.

762 repair.jpg

zpaul and JALPak like this.
  10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow AA trains their pilots well...i guess they can step in in case of mechanics union strike :p

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    At one point, there was only one D seat (9 F seats total). I think it was 2D. That was great, as there was truly unlimited legroom.

13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this. Am on the LAX-JFK redeye on this plane in a few weeks, and will need to get a bit of sleep. I hadn't been on this in a while, and had almost forgotten the recline problem. Off to aa.com now to change my seat!

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the second row, could see that there didn't appear to be enough foot-room in the bulkead rows for a tall person (Im 6'6"). As seen in the pictures upthread, there's a cut-away of sorts in the bulkhead wall at the bottom of the wall, so feet have a bit more room than if this wasn't there, and perhaps for the average height person it may be o.k.
    Yes, when the person in front reclines all the way, and it's not easy getting out, but it's not impossible, and one's taller/longer legs do add a bit of pivotal (literally) manuverability in getting out. (that, or you just hurdle the arm-rest :) ). If I were an average sized guy, I might go with the bulkhead row, for the no-recline factor discussed up-thread. For us tall blokes, the compromise may have to be in the second row of J and beyond.
    Interesting antecdote---the whole plane hits the sack/sleeps shortly after take-off, and I did as well. I had awoken shortly into the flight to use the lav, and upon returning, an FA stops by and politely asks, "I noticed you're still up---would you like something to eat, I've got a grilled chicken salad or a fruit & cheese plate if you're hungry, or if not, sorry to disturb you, just thought I'd ask."

John777 and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  15. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are planning to travel with 2 month old, lap-child in J on this flight. I am inclined to book 7A and 7B (for me and Mrs. PedroNY), do people have any other recommendations? If I understand correctly, there are no bassinet specific seats on this flight.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

PedroNY