Redesignating a Flagship 777 flight

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Canadi>n, Jun 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received a sked change notice from AA (well the TA I booked this particular set of flight with) and checked my booking on the AA site. It appears that on July 8th, AA has redesignated its normal 777 Flagship flight between LAX and MIA as a regular two-cabin flight. AA appears to have cancelled/removed the F fare and designated the front cabin F seats as business, and made the business cabin coach (in addition to regular coach). A check of random dates suggests this is a one-time change since the same flight is still showing F seats for sale later in the week/month.

I was booked in F and from checking the seat map a week ago seems I was the only person in F. So I was taken off this flight and put on a regular 738 transcon (departing at 9p vs my original departure of 10:40a!) in regular F.

Anyhow, I contacted the ExecPlat res desk and changed my flights to LAX-JFK (Flagship) and JFK-MIA (lucking out on an international configured 757) so in the end will get another 1K or so in EQMs as a bonus.

Does this happen often? I am sure those folks who booked business will enjoy the F swivel seats (I know I will miss the 777's F seats) and the lucky elites flying coach who get into the business cabin will enjoy their larger seat and more space (though maybe they won't get video players).

In August I have a return booked on the Flagship MIA-LAX-MIA flights so can only hope that AA does the same change and I get to sit in the swivel F seats again, instead of the business class ones I'm booked in this time!

UPDATE
    It appears that AA is removing Flagship Service from this route since all 3-cabin 777 flights between MIA-LAX-MIA. Looking through the summer and fall, all these flights are now pseudo 2-cabin, i.e. F passengers will fill the 16 seats in the front cabin and Main Cabin Extra will occupy the business cabin. Regular coach will be in the coach cabin.

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news for MCE customers at least. :)

puck, zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As reported elsewhere, looks like it's most likely an IT issue vs. an actual change to how the 772 is sold on this route.

jbcarioca, zpaul and newbluesea like this.
  4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite what's being said on FT, it's not an IT issue. I called AA to use a SWU to upgrade another trip on these flights in August and moved from economy to first class not business class. If it was an IT error, why would I have been booted off my original flight next month on a full F fare?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:

Which flight are you in? Because there are non 777s to Miami departing from LAX!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If wasn't an IT issue and was a intentional change, why has AA fixed it? AA.com is once again correctly selling the flights between MIA-LAX on 772s as three classes instead of two classes. Three distinct cabins, Y/J/F. ;) :)

jbcarioca and John777 like this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spoke with an agent this morning about 299 and she saw it as a two cabin sale though on my particular day was unable to access the seating chart, nor am I able to access it online for this particular day. And she was unable to put me back onto my original flight because the front cabin was being sold as business and not F, the ticket class I was holding. So whatever it is, it's still f***ked up!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What day? I searched random dates and AA299 is selling as 3 cabins, not 2. Some folks effected by the IT error reported seating issues with their existing reservations and that AA is working to fix that angle, so that might be your issue.

As for whether this was an intentional change, that's a dead issue.

Hopefully you can get your original routing and seat back soon.

;;;;;;.JPG

Aktchi and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, mea culpa. Seems whatever glitches there were have all been fixed and things are back to normal, sort of. My August flights are back to 3-cabin and what was A on the return has now become C, and the seating chart for the outbound has reopened and my eVIP upgrade on that one cleared but I've yet to receive the new ticket. As for the original July flight change that triggered the whole thing, I am keeping my rerouting via JFK in Flagship F since I'll earn about 1,500 more EQMs and am in no extra rush to get to MIA that evening (also find myself in an international configured 757 JFK-MIA which will make the trip more comfortable).

jbcarioca likes this.