Redeposit fee PER Certificate?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by profpeabody, Apr 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently canceled a IAD-LHR flight the day before travel due to a work emergency. Had used 4 certificates (80,000 miles) to upgrade along with a fee. United is now saying the $125 redeposit fee (Silver status) is going to be charged per certificate for a total of $600. This seems so wrong to me. Anyone else had a similar experience?

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What certificate are you talking about?

If you simply paid 20000 miles per direction per person (plus co-pay based on fare class) and your upgrade did not clear;
    (or you canceled the trip in this case); then UA should simply refund the miles plus co-pay without more fees.

Not sure if you used miles to actually buy the ticket; in which case, the redeposit fee will apply.

UA does not care if you were sick, etc

3. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Paid ticket with upgrade using miles and cash. Maybe "certificate" is not the right term but that is how the agent referred to it. You are right, it was 20,000 miles per person in each direction. My argument is that IF they are going to charge a redeposit fee, it should be per passenger not per segment. The website states: “Fees apply to each ticket individually. If multiple people are traveling together, there is a fee for each traveler.” Each of us had a roundtrip ticket so the max they should charge would be $250. To be fair, United had notified me in advance that the upgrades in each direction had cleared.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your theory but, unfortunately, that's not how it works. You did redeem four individual awards, one in each direction for each passenger. :(

Cancelling a trip - and therefore redepositing the points for the upgrade - counts as a redeposit event. If the upgrade does not clear you are correct that it is free.

profpeabody and snod08 like this.
  5. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dang!!! That is something new I have learned today!!!

profpeabody and davef139 like this.
  6. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Guess I am going to be forking over the moolah then. Thanks for the feedback!