Redemption Promo: SFO-HND on JL for 30K in Y, 50K in J R/T

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK. Great value if you can make use of it.

Fly for up to 50%* fewer AAdvantage® miles for round-trip travel on Japan Airlines between San Francisco and Tokyo Haneda

Airline:
    Japan Airlines

Award:
    Award Special - Book a Business Class round-trip award for 50,000 miles or an Economy Class round-trip award for 30,000 miles

Dates:
    Book your travel starting October 18, 2011 and travel between November 1, 2011 and February 29, 2012.

Offer:
    AAdvantage members can book a round-trip Business Class award for 50,000 AAdvantage miles and a round-trip Economy class award for 30,000 AAdvantage miles for nonstop travel on Japan Airlines between San Francisco and Tokyo Haneda. Offer applies to travel completed between November 1, 2011 and February 29, 2012.

To book your trip, contact American Airlines AAdvantage Reservations at 1-800-882-8880. An award service charge applies to AAdvantage award reservations ticketed by our reservations office, Travel Centers or airport agents.

Award Special Terms and Conditions
    The San Francisco to Tokyo Haneda award special is valid for round-trip travel in Business Class or Economy Class on flights which are marketed and operated by Japan Airlines. Award inventory is subject to seat availability and capacity controls. Seats for award travel may not be available on all flights. Standard AAdvantage award travel terms and conditions apply. AAdvantage flight awards are subject to, and the passenger is responsible for, the September 11th Security Fee, applicable departure taxes, federal inspection fees, passenger facility charges, and any other taxes and fees imposed by a government entity (U.S. or foreign), as well as any fees or surcharges (including fuel surcharges) imposed by the carrier.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great deal for those residing close those gateway cities.
    Although the last time I flew SFO/Tokyo (NRT) it was JAL F..which IMHO was better than the return CX F (HKG/SFO) but getting to the gateways for many of us will add a minimum of 25K AA miles in Y since the above award does not cover such.

JALPak likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is tempting as a winter break trip...

4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Any experiences with JAL J?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not personally, but hope to soon, specifically on the 787 NRT-BOS. :)

Here is a trip report from 2 years ago: LINK.

6. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, I think it's much better than NH C. Much better catering and staff. In OW, I'd rank their soft product as the #2 C; not quite CX but better than RJ and LA. Although the seat is technically not a full flat seat, it's got about ~173-175 degrees of recline and I never felt like I was sliding like I do on LH.

7. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Super way to use all those citibank sign up bonus miles!

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Picture on meal is outdated. You can see the Japanese menu + Picture of their Oct meal here: http://www.jal.co.jp/cgi-bin/jal/in...month=10&dep=hnd&arr=sfo&seatclass=c&x=28&y=8

On HND-SFO flight, they serve quick meal of sushi after departure. Upon arrival, you get breakfast. You can order from the a la carte menu in between the meals.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would expect it to be outdated considering it's 2 years old. ;)

JALPak likes this.
  10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the plane/seats! You will get the same 777 and Shell Flat seat :p

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think there were many hard product pictures in that report. Either way, JL J would be a step up from AA J for redeemers!

JALPak likes this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked! Needed an anniversary/new year trip, and this did it! 50K each for Executive class, leaving 12/27 returning 1/5 (arrive 1/4). The flights were relatively full - we only got seats in rows 8 & 9 (A,C and H,K, respectively).

I think the best part is that we'll have lounge access based on Oneworld status. Any advice on their First lounges vs. Arrivals lounges?

13. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    The arrival lounge is not part of oneworld benefit and ow status won't get you in. But you can get in based on class of travel if it is open. The opening hours of the arrival lounge is 5:30-9:00 which means it will be closed when your flight arrives.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/lounge/japan/hnd/

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right. Coming in as Executive Class should get Arrivals lounge, but having never been to Haneda, I didn't know if JAL First or JAL Arrivals would be better. Being that we get in at 22:30, I don't expect we'll use a lounge then - we'll just head to the hotel.

So I guess I'm looking for advice on the flight home. Is the JAL lounge the only OW lounge? Our flight leaves at midnight:05, so getting to the airport after dinner would be nice.

15. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    F lounge is still open when you arrive but it's on airside so you won't get access. Yes JAL's is the only OW lounge