Redeeming MyPoints for Hyatt Certificates, help please...

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by ValF, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ValF

ValF Silver Member

Status Points:
    After a long year of clicking and survey taking I'm finally seeing the end of the tunnel for having enough MyPoints to start redeeming for something. One of my options is a $75 Hyatt certificate. However, I'm not sure what these certificates are. The Hyatt Gold Passport site talks about several kinds of gift cards and certificates. The type of certificate / card seems to limit what you can spend them on and also limits what properties take them. Has someone who has redeemed MyPoints for Hyatt certificates tell me what type of certificates these are? I don't stay at hotels very often, my first Hyatt stay will be one night this winter before a cruise. I'm trying to get a feel for whether the Hyatt certificate or 5000 United miles would be a better value redemption. Thanks in advance for any input.

wanymayold likes this.
  2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never redeemed MyPoints for Hyatt Certs so I could be wrong but reading the description - especially the part that says US properties - I'm guessing that it is in the form of a Gift Card (not Gift Certificate). Neither type limits what you can use them for - they are basically good as "cash" for payment of room , tax , incidentals. If you are planning on using it at a US property, you'll be fine. If you are planning on using it at an International property, be wary since only Gift Certificates may be used at International properties (and not Gift Cards - since they are not equipped to swipe the card to ascertain the remaining value).

As to whether or not the Hyatt Cert is better or the UA miles is better - ask yourself if you value UA miles at 1.25 cents per mile or higher (if so UA miles is better).

Dangjr213 likes this.
  3. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this helps you but the picture shows a gift card...

4. ValF

ValF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help. The domestic travel we do is mostly to family or bed and breakfast stays, so it looks as if the United miles will be a better option for me. I appreciate the feedback.