Redeeming miles through US Airways

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by caserta2oo5, Aug 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have lots of miles through US Airways (not to mention lots of miles with other Airlines as well). Since work pays for all of my flights, I don't want to use my miles on trips. Hilton Honors has a great shopping area to redeem miles and Delta isn't bad but it seems that US Air only lets you redeem miles for flights or magazines. Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer US Air miles to Delta or United?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not spend some of your US miles for a fabulous foreign trip in FC or business that you wouldn't otherwise do, just as a special treat to reward yourself for all the business travel you've been doing. There must be some indulgent place that you would enjoy for at least a nice long weekend.

3. That does sound great but ... I just had a baby (6 months ago) and I have done some small flights with her and I think that a long trip with her needs to wait. Since having my daughter, I am no longer going to be traveling like what I did and I don't want my miles to expire. I used a few hundred thousand miles to book a trip for my Brother and his Girlfriend. I just have a lot of miles left over and I wanted to use them before they expire. I may just donate them.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can keep them alive pretty easily through promotions such as Grand Slam.

That being said, points.com will allow you to cash in US miles via PayPal as cash (the exchange rate is lousy).

5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just snagged some winter off-peak saver awards for my wife and I...headed CLT-CDG nonstop in Envoy and return nonstop in coach, for 47,500 miles each...I think we'll get the A330-200 Envoy suite on the overnight on the way out, and I don't mind coach on the daytime flight home.

I know it'll be cold in Paris that time of year (although really not much colder than home), but I feel like that's a pretty fantastic value for my miles and I'm pretty excited about it!

viguera likes this.
  6. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used the 30K each way Envoy awards for a few years during the low season on PHL-CDG. Great value. And I never have a problem going to Paris, even if the weather in Jan-Feb is like that in PHL, albeit usually with less snow.

viguera likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and I completely understand not being able to travel due to a small child. What I would argue is that it's easy to keep your account alive (US offers regular promotions that will help you accumulate miles; in fact, you can download a toolbar, make some searches, and keep your account alive for 18 months every time you do this), and I am a huge fan of traveling with your child once they are older and not screaming/crying because of airline cabin pressure/narrow Eustachian tubes. The gift card/cash out/transfer points deals places like points.com or Delta/United offer are almost always complete rip-offs compared to the value of thousands of dollars in free airfare you get from the miles, which is why airlines prefer you to do this.

That being said, good luck to you regardless of whatever you choose- and perhaps travel is not so important to you now that you have a family, and the money or gift cards would serve you better...

8. Thanks ALL :) I will "keep them alive"! I didn't know that was an option.

I can't even complain if I do lose some miles though. For all of my years of traveling for work I had a great system going. I setup a Upromise Account and I first log into my Upromise Account, then from there book through Orbitz for my flight and car rental. Then go direct to Hilton and book through their website for my hotel. That way I got 1% back for my car rentals and flights and I also got miles from the airline not to mention all of the points through Hilton Honors. I was also able to setup my Hilton Honors to gain points along with my air miles. By doing all of this, it only took a few months to get to Gold Status with Hilton. Not to mention all of the miles earned and all of the extra cash in my Upromise Account.