Redeeming FF

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by javman08, Jan 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. javman08

javman08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Newbie Here,
    I mainly fly UA, but my parents have QFF points and are looking at flying HBA-ORD (in enconomy) but they are being quoted taxes and fees of $700+ RT, is this correct? Is there anyway around this. Seems worthless to have QFF points as tixs can be purchased for about $1000-$1200
    Thanks in advance for the help

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the parents have enough points, they're likely to get better value with business class tickets if award inventory is available.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can check sites like expertflyer to see potential availability on qantas flights for redemptions. If you need a hand with it, just PM me.

4. javman08

javman08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks,
    I can get the seats on the flights they need just couldnt believe the $700 taxes and fees
    Cheers

5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may find that the points are better spent on other types of redemption. Personally, I wouldn't consider using points for a long-haul economy trip for this reason.

6. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, this level of tax and charges are not that surprising. Yes, it's high, but not surprising.

I may consider breaking up the ticket and use 100% cash for the domestic legs.

Globaliser likes this.