Redeeming Chase Sapphire Points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MLW20, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering what thes best way was to use my Chase Sapphire points. I originally applied for the 50,000 points offer and then got the match for 100,000 points!

The best options I see are:
    A- redeem for $1,000 cash
    B-redeem for 100,000 Continental miles

I am leaning towards choice B. Was wondering what others thought regarding the options Chase gives us for using Sapphire points.
    All suggestions/ ideas are welcome here!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan on using my 50,000 points to stay at a high-end Hyatt property, such as the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome, for two nights when we travel to Europe next summer. This gives you a good value for your points because two nights would cost around $2000.

You can also stay at lower category Hyatt properties for less points (thus, more nights).

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is better to redeem Chase Ultimate Reward points with the hotel and air transfer partners, instead of cash. I wrote about the transfer options in a recent blog post.

That's because you could get a business class ticket to Europe for 100K CO miles which you may value more than cash.

I will be transferring our Ultimate Reward points to Hyatt and using them to stay at the Park Hyatt in Paris, which usually costs ~$1,000 a night. 100,000 points will get us 5 nights at a hotel which we would have never been able to stay at otherwise.

I wouldn't transfer them to Priority Club though, since you can buy Priority Club points for about 0.6 cents per point, so transferring 100,000 points to Priority Club would yield only a $600 value!

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses. I don't really value high end hotels so I will almost definitely transfer the points to Continental. When I merge then with my United account I will have a decent amount of miles!

I wonder what most would value 100,000 Sapphire points at...

hulagrrl210, rharrigill and jbcarioca like this.
  5. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget you probably have at least 103,000 Sapphire points (with the 3k spending requirement points).

I'm still deciding where to transfer my 100,000 points. With my extra points, I'm going to transfer some to accounts I don't use often to keep them active and avoid losing my miles with them. Which you can do in 1,000 point increments (thanks for the tip Million Mile Secrets).

I might also redeem 2,500 for a one-day Continental Presidents Club pass.

6. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    And if you keep your card until early next year, you will get the 7% point bonus on all points which have hit your account, so that is another 7,210 points!

druiddation likes this.
  7. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    By early next year do you mean just after the calendar year? Or do you have to wait a year after getting the card (and pay the annual fee) to get the 7% point bonus?

8. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    Sorry for not being clearer. I mean the calendar year, so in January or February of next year. So you don't have to pay the annual fee to get those points (assuming you applied for the card in the last few months)!

druiddation likes this.