Redeeming BA miles for USA-SE Asia

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by theskyflyer, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am planning to redeem BA miles for JFK-DPS-JFK using CX in J. I think I read somewhere that BA only requires 100,000 miles for this route when using CX with a free stop over in HKG. Is this correct?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes it is :) Not a bad value at all.

theskyflyer likes this.
  3. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gary -- now I remember where I read it. It was on your blog! Good one!

Thing is, when I plugged JFK-DPS-JFK, I was quoted 100K. But it cost more when I entered another US city that's not serviced by CX.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    British Airways awards get very expensive when you use two partner airlines or more. You can fly BA + one partner or one partner only at the 'regular' award price. But once you use two partners in an award you're onto the very expensive distance-based chart.

5. Eorpa
    Original Member

Eorpa Active Member

Status Points:
    It's true what they say, you learn something new every day. Here was me thinking all along I had to avoid BA + 1.

6. MMSB01
    Original Member

MMSB01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Does BA charge Fuel Surcharges on 1 partner awards with CX? or JAL?

7. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    you pay what ever CX charges. recall it is about US$160 in taxes/fees between JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-JFK...well, last time i booked it...and 100K points.

8. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it just me but has BA made it inherently difficult to redeem on partners online? I look at various dates JFK-HKG-DPS/NRT and only get the BA options [​IMG]

9. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes that's always a problem on routes also served by BA..

They really need to improve the partner search function of the redemption seat finder tool. Including a separate 'only partner airline' search option before you start the search is the obvious way to go. Surely an easy fix?

10. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definately. These are the days you wish Dilly (the first ba.com helper) over at FT had not switched departments at BA.

11. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    has been that way for years. i just call.

12. I am also thinking about doing a trip to SE Asia on CX using BA miles. Has anyone heard of getting another free stopover on top of HKG (similar to some of the LAN award routings)?

I am just starting to wrap my head around a lot of this stuff, but I am in college and I want to take the trip in December. I have 50k MR points that I can transfer and could do a BA credit card signup later in the year for the rest of the miles. Does this sound like the best strategy for using my miles to get to SE Asia?

13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sure, you could do a BKK stopover as well on the way to CMB and SIN. CX also flies BKK-DEL/BOM/KHI though from North American I do not know if BA will permit a Pacific routing to DEL/BOM/KHI. Starting in Asia, certainly, and both a HKG and BKK stopover would generally be permitted.

slylikeafox likes this.
  14. Thanks for the input, gleff. Feels cool to have a question answered by someone famous! [​IMG] Now they just need to offer that 100k BA Visa again so I can do the trip in first class instead of business!