redeeming BA miles for AA flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dmel, Oct 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at redeeming miles for an LAX-JFK flight in F.

I can get a MileSAAver ticket with 32,500 AA miles. This books into class Z which (according to http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/airportAmenities/AAFlagshipLounges.jsp) gives me access to the Flagship Lounge at LAX. I never fly F, and certainly never get access to the FL so I thought it would be fun to try.

I can book the same flight in F on ba.com using 37,500 BA miles.

Since the redemption is only 5000 more, I think I'd rather spend these and keep my AA miles available. But, ba.com doesn't show what class this books into. Since this is the perfect (and likely only) chance I have at experiencing the FL, if my BA-booked ticket won't allow me access, I'll probably go with the AA redemption route.

I have not yet called BA to ask, but does anyone here know what class the BA ticket will be? Will I have access to the FL? Anyone think my reasoning is flawed or just plain stupid?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find the award availability, you'll be fine. Using BA or AA miles will book into Z class (non-mileage earning redemption) for first class and you'll have access to the Flagship lounge at LAX.

dmel likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And all the bags of chips, fruit salad, and ginger ale you can imagine.

AnthonyB1609, dmel and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What, no car ride to the plane like LH's FCT? :p

dmel likes this.
  5. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just be sure your BA award is a first class award and not a business class award... These are three-class flights and you'll want to be sure you aren't booking into business for that price.

dmel and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. It says "First."

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

AA definitely has more award availability than BA.

BTW, while MileSAAver books into Z, it looks like AAnytime awards book into F. But, since MileSAAver awards are available, I see no reason to spend double the miles for F class.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    AAnytime Awards always book into the full fare inventory bucket for that class of service (Y, J or F), as they are not capacity controlled and offer "last seat" availability (in fact, if your flight is overbooked but AA is still showing Y1 or higher, they could end up offering "bump-someone-else-off-so-I-can-fly" availability :)). If MileSAAver Awards are available, there is no material advantage I can think of to booking an AAnytime Award. Also, you cannot book AAnytime Awards with BA miles--these can only be booked with AA miles.

JohnDeere19 and dmel like this.
  9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AAnytime awards are good if they're all that's available and/or you're thinking you may need to change a lot (the waived charge is no benefit if you're EXP though as they already get it free).

"Changes to an eligible origin or destination on AAnytime awards are allowed at no charge."
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/redeemMiles/makingAwardReservations.jsp

Microwave and dmel like this.
  10. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the former, I did mention that they're not a good choice if MileSAAver is available ;); on the latter, that is a very good point--if this kind of flexibility is needed, saving the redeposit fee could be major depending on the number of changes.

Espan, JohnDeere19 and dmel like this.
  11. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course the F availability is gone. So I'll likely do business (U) for 25,000 BA miles + US$2.50.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  12. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMO, business on the 762 is better than first on any domestic narrowbody, so you won't be disappointed.

JohnDeere19 and dmel like this.
  13. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know. I've flown 762 J before... but since I've never flown 762 F, I wanted to try it, but not for 65K miles. Oh well. Another time.

JohnDeere19 and Microwave like this.
  14. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep an eye out for award space on aa.com, or set an EF alert for Z... I don't know BA's change/redeposit rules, but there's a decent chance award space will return.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  15. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but if I book with AA there would be a $150 change fee... And I'm too paranoid to not book anything now. Or do I have it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  16. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have status by chance?

Microwave likes this.
  17. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just limited gold from the exec citi card. :-( But it's only EXP that gets the fees waived, right?

18. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you use your AA miles and you're not Executive Platinum then there would be a redeposit fee, yes. However, in the OP you mentioned that you were leaning toward using BA miles, in which case BA's policy would be in force not AA's. I don't know what the BA policy is, so if there is no redeposit or the fees are reasonable, it may be worth considering.

dmel likes this.
  19. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I'll check.

20. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great call, Microwave.

According to https://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecservicefeestbl/execclub/_gf/en_gb, "Cancellation/mileage redeposit on ba.com" for North American departures has a US$50 (or $70 otp), and states (emphasis mine):

So... maybe I'll risk $50. There's also no fee for ba.com date/time changes... I wonder if I were to switch classes on ba.com (should a 37.5K redemption become available for F), if they would consider that a cancel and rebook or a date/time change... probably the former.

Microwave likes this.
  21. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I redeem the BA miles for an AA flight, will it show up on my aa.com account? Since it's not a code share, I assume yes. And I assume that I will be able to get priority seats (exit row) in that case (thinking about a different flight now... Not the F/J I asked about earlier.

I only have the limited gold on aa from the Citi Exec card, so no OneWorld ruby so if it's managed on BA.com, I won't be able to grab the seats. Although I suppose I could try calling AA cust service.

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The new Citi card gives priority seating?

All the info I've seen says it gives priority check in and priority boarding, not seats. Did they amend the offering and not update the info they posted here?

23. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It gives "limited gold" which shows on aa.com as GOLD. I can confirm that I am able to select, for free, priority seats.

I suppose it may not really be a perk, but instead may be a website glitch not distinguishing between "full" gold and "limited" gold. Next time I have a Y fare, I'll call AA and see if the phone rep shows those seats available to me.

24. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I just reviewed the welcome packet, and the ability to book priority seating prior to general availability, for free is definitely not listed. It's either an undocumented perk or a glitch, like I said.

If the latter, and they fix it: oh well. Though I'll soon have "full" gold thanks to the OWMD challenge offer.

Microwave likes this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They should update their marketing since none of the information on the card says priority seats, and that's much better than priority check in/boarding IMHO.

Microwave likes this.