Redeem AAdvantage Miles On Etihad To South Africa?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Oct 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    I frequently get asked about how to redeem American AAdvantage miles for travel on Etihad Airways. Back in June I wrote about how to search Etihad award space, and a couple of weeks ago I wrote about how redeeming AAdvantage miles to the Maldives just got easier. In that post, I shared three general routing rules for redeeming American AAdvantage miles for longhaul travel: -- American will let you exceed the maximum permitted mileage (MPM) for a city pair by up to 25%, but simultaneously says that you have to take the most direct routing. In practice that means you can usually route creatively, and when you get an agent that insists on taking the most direct routing you just hang up and call again. -- The transoceanic airline you’re flying has to publish a fare between your origin and destination. In other words, if you want to fly from Los Angeles to New York on American and then New York to London to Rome on British Airways, British Airways would have to publish a fare between the origin and destination. -- With few exceptions, you can’t transit a third region on an award ticket. The Maldives is considered part of “the Middle East/Indian Subcontinent” on American’s award chart, so per the AAdvantage exception chart, the only region you can transit enroute to the Middle East is Europe. The post Redeem AAdvantage Miles On Etihad To South Africa? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...