Red Carpet Club/Presidents Club food offerings

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PhlyingRPh, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a complainer or anything....... but, overall, I'm not happy with the food offerings at either domestic RCC's or PC's. It's not just the food, it's the way it's packaged (or not), when it's available, the plates, cutlery, cups, availability of drinks, etc.

Where to start. OK, we'll take turns.

PC:
    Nutella. Really, I mean Really? what do I spread it on? and if I do decide to spread it on a big-ass stale bagel, can I at least get a quarter-plate to balance both sides of the bagel, the full-sized knife and the little packet of nutella on it.

RCC:
    So, the only thing worse than a dolls picnic saucer to put your stale, $0.79 per loaf toast slice on is when the plate is a small, lightweight black recycled plastic jobby.

Like I said, I'm not a complainer but...

PC and RCC:
    At most locations, if all you want is a Diet Coke or some other commonly dispensed soft drink, you have stand at the bar, vying for the attention of a surly bartender (you know who you are, dude at B9 RCC at ORD, and old girl at DFW PC) behind a dozen alcohol deprived customers. How about a drinks dispenser. Actually, given the ruckus at the RCC since they started serving free alcohol, perhaps a few Kegs spread around each club might aid in easing congestion at the bars too.

There's a lot more - soggy crackers in the RCC that should be individually sealed, massive, two cubic inch pieces of cheese that even the mice at DEN East have trouble hauling away and the lack of any real hors d'ouvres of any sort at any club. Would it kill them to serve something hot, baked, fried or smoked - dumplings, mini-rolls, cheese sticks, spanakopitas, mini-samosas, and perhaps some coffee cake, cheese cake, etc?

I've done more than my fair share of grumbling today so I'll stop there.

FlyingFree and sobore like this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nutella is good enough that you can spread it on your finger.

Anyhow, I've been flying a lot of Other Airlines of late and can report that the AA lounges aren't much better (though the FlAAgship Lounges are). US Air ones are physically nicer, though the catering is generally worse. I'm now in the Galleries at Terminal 3 at LHR swilling down Comtes de Champagne as fast as I can, so I can see where you're coming from, though.

3. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

I can imagine the thought going through a UA lurker's (ex-Scott) brain:
    "But, but, but, that would cost more."

4. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, I think for what you get, the offerings in the PC/RCC's are not that bad. Snack food is decent. Breakfast is just fine. My guess is, if you're going to see an "enhancement" on this point, that would be akin to the Admiral Clubs where you get "substantive food" available for purchase.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    But, but, but, the RCC fare is not designed to be a full meal buffet

Nor was it designed to be a place where people should take fistfuls of food (remember the individually-wrapped cheese wedges, Kit-Kats and boxes of raisins?). While it's easy to blame someone for being on the cheap, there are legitimate reasons to not turn the RCC into a free-for-all.

I pay to be in a place for a more quiet, better-behaved atmosphere; not to see people hoard snacks in the RCC like we see people in a disaster zone attack a burlap bag full of rice dropped from military aircraft.

And if some of that is reasoned with dollars, then so be it.

6. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Google: tragedy of the commons :)

7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IAD isn't your home airport then. (?) While the RCC at Dulles is an escape from the muggles, I've never been in there when it was quiet and couldn't imagine paying for that chaos.

8. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW I've always appreciated the RCCs fresh food offerings (celery, tomatoes, and carrots) and certainly hope they keep this going forward as it beats the pants off the usual SaraLee/Lays garbage CO seems intent to stock their PCs with.

At the macro the RCC sunk their resources into better food options (fresh options, Pepperidge Farm cookies, snacks, etc.) while the PC opted for better (free) booze options and while ideally I'm sure we'd all like to see the best of both worlds...just like they promised...I've got a nagging feeling that it'll boil down to one or the other.

Seacarl likes this.
  9. scott6067
    Original Member

scott6067 Silver Member

Status Points:
    RCCs already do this. I don't mind clubs charging for a nicer meal as long as they keep something of substence too.

10. I treat the RCCs as a resting place, chance to tank up on water, and now finally have a complimentary glass of wine to take it easy. Other than that, I very unfortunately don't expect much in the way of food and beverage offerings from a domestic RCC.

International is a little bit better, but not by much. Fortunately, I have access to, and use the other Start Alliance lounges when I can - they are WAY better!

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    How hard is it to serve some decent croissants for the Nutella? (And yes, I consider pastries as a condiment for Nutella, not the other way around.) Costco sells amazing ones for 50 cents each.

sobore likes this.
  12. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC can run it's MLL's with decent food options, my thought is why can't UA/CO step up to their level.

They should also put cupcakes in the UA Club.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more!

14. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    When there was an RCC at LHR, it was far better than any in the US. It has now been replaced by a *A lounge which has better food offerings still. It would be great if they could raise the level of the domestic RCCs at least to the old LHR standard.

15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't that be nice.
    But certainly keep some healthy food options available - fruit, veggies, yogurt. The Delta Club in Boston has olives, hummus and soup. Alaska serves soup in their Boardrooms, too.

sobore likes this.
  16. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not some soup? Not a bad idea.

17. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS also does pancakes and hard boiled eggs in the morning.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The soup CO has in BF is anything but healthy.

19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't resist the bags of Fritos or Lays chips in the PCs... Loss of individually packaged items in the RCCs is understandable as I must admit to smuggling a bag or two of chips onto my flight to enjoy. I simply detest pretzels and need something different to nibble on over that first drink onboard. And sorting through the "mix" at the RCCs to get rid of the pretzels is wasteful, I admit, but I figure if I leave enough cups of uneaten pretzels, UA might get the message and give us unmixed nuts and other crispy items. (BTW I do enjoy real jumbo soft pretzels, the type one finds in Germany and in the LH lounges which I devour during the first drinks round on any flights from MUC or FRA.)

Many of us have been spoiled by European and Asian lounges and their often extravagant range of real food, but those economics would break UA or CO. AC's MLLs probably have the best spreads in NAmerica with soups and salad, and pastas in the international lounges in the evenings.

Guess it will be an ongoing debate whether lounges should oases for resting, working, bars or bistros!

20. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why stop there - as far as I'm concerned there should be cupcakes EVERYWHERE!

I will admit to pocketing an extra bag of chips or cookies, or crackers and cheese from whatever lounge I'm in. I also generally attempt to drink my own weight in wine and/or vodka depending on the club in question!

21. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which is why airports have these new-fangled things called "stores" where you can buy any snack food known to man.

22. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it tastes s:cool::cool: good!!!