Red Carpet Club -- possible to use RCC tmobile wifi card outside lounge?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Randy Petersen, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Seems I should know this but search after search I could not find the answer anywhere.

Question: I recently was in an RCC and grabbed a tmobile card for both my lovely bride and myself. She logged on with hers and I got distracted—met a fellow traveler. Anyway, time slipped away and we ran for the gate.

I realized later that I still had my RCC tmobile card that i had not used. While I'll carry to turn in on next visit, wondering two things: 1) are these cards coded for specific lounges? (I'm thinking of just saving to use in a different RCC) and 2) Could they possibly be used in a Concourse such in the gate area on the 80s at LAX where there is no clubroom and not enough time or energy to schlep over to the RCC in gate area 70s.

Just wondering. Thanks.

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should be usable in any RCC, however they will only be useful in and around a RCC (US Airways has the same arrangement and I've been able to use them in other locations). The welcome screen is different for a lounge than a general T-mobile access point, and the screen that you input the code for these cards is not available on the generic T-Mobile access points you find around the airport.

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The cards are coded for a specific airline but not a specific lounge. You cannot use a US t-mobile card at a RCC. You can use the wifi just outside the lounge if you have the range. I've tried this at the ORD RCC in the B concourse and couldn't keep a strong signal.

4. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an example of the limited wifi range of RCC signals, there are places *inside* the LAX RCC where you can't get the RCC signal... :)

sobore likes this.
  5. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had problems using the same T mobile card at MSP, ORD, and IAD in the same day. at MSP I've been able to use it right outside of the RCC but I've never tried at ORD or anywhere else.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    all good information, helps me and i hope helps others with the same interest or curiosity! Thanks.

7. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same thing with the LAX US Club. In certain spots you get the regular T-Mobile LAX login screen. If the RCC login Screen does not appear, move to a different area of the RCC and refresh your browser.

8. MikeIAH
    Original Member

MikeIAH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! I have a few Tmobile cards that I hoped that I would be able to use whenever there is a T-mobile signal. Good to know otherwise.

9. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. IME the work carousels are the danger zone where you can't get the signal.

10. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yet another reason why the "United Club" should move to a model of free wifi like the PC's offer. The interference of the airport's TMobile signal in certain spots is maddening. The PC's have their own independent "Presidents Club" wifi signal, so the only time I ever have connection issues is in the late afternoon at the EWR 100's PC, when it's packed to the gills with BusinessFirst and *G's waiting to board their international flights.