Red Carpet at the Boarding gate

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by BWIflyer, Nov 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    some comments for the ill-informed writer -

"they have likely paid through the nose for that particular privilege." I didn't pay through the nose for my ticket, but I have paid by sitting on a lot of flights.

"No one stops to preen or pose, and it doesn’t start or finish at any useful location." Does the author actually want people to pose and showoff?" Start -- faster boarding, finish - my bags fit into the overhead

'Joes lucky enough to have scored an upgrade are downright apologetic, keeping their eyes down as if to tell their fellow travelers, “I’m not one of those people.” ' I was always taught to maintain eye contact with people. Next time I score an upgrade, I think I will be jumping up and clicking my heels while screaming "Suck it Assistant Editor of Salon.com! :D

As for class divide, its only a curtain, but please stay on your side! :p

<OK, for those who do not recognize my posts, its tongue in cheek with a bit of (over-the-top sur-)realism.> ;)

BWIflyer, mht_flyer, cennas and 2 others like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As with many (most) such articles, clearly it was written by someone
    who was cheesed off at not having the privilege. And missed the point
    of the now-blue carpet - that it shows those who get to cut the line
    how to do so.

Bonnie, BWIflyer, mht_flyer and 4 others like this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the Author utilizes the Red Carpet often enough to disillusion herself?

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone is clearly bitter.

I love the carpet when they start boarding without me and there are 50+ people in the GM line. I'm pretty sure that's the point. I think we can all agree that the red carpet gate lice are silly, but as far as avoiding a long wait in line once the gate actually opens, the red carpet serves its purpose.

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a fool that opened her mouth.....Jealously is an ugly trait.....

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're doing it right, the people walking across that red carpet probably paid less in total for that flight than everyone else.

10. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    As they say in the old country, "Pheh"

BTW, flew today and used the blue carpet. No feelings of disdain nor shame.

BWIflyer and mht_flyer like this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I could care less about the carpet... just that the lane is there when I'm bypassing the general boarding line on a tight connection.

BWIflyer likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it a little awkward sometimes...particularly if I show up mid way through the boarding process and go down the separate aisle and effectively jump the queue...not so awkward that I don't use it though.

The article, written by an entertainment reporter, is about as close to reality as if I wrote a story here about entertainment "news."

mattsteg and BWIflyer like this.
  13. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While I did find it useful on a handful of occasions when I've missed the start of boarding...I, too, feel awkward walking up to an empty red/blue carpet when a long line of fellow pax are waiting in the general boarding line. After a couple instances where I'd go up to the front of the red carpet and politely wait to be processed and the GA seemingly ignored me...I now just get in the back of the general boarding line and wait it out. It certainly avoids a lot of not-so-nice looks from fellow pax!

14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your a better man than me I guess. I don't give a rats arse what the other folks think, if I've earned (or bought, such as buying a seat up front) the right/privilege to use the magic carpet or express lame in going to use it. And of other pax or this dopey author has a problem with it....well that's their problem not mine.

15. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Should have said......express lane and I'm going to use it....

Stupid iPhone autocorrect.

ACMM likes this.
  16. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    And the dopey author was not the poster. Not calling you dopey. :)

ACMM likes this.
  17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dunt blime the software! ;)

18. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you feel awkward using the express lane at the supermarket, or do you just take your carton of milk and get in the longest line?

19. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not at all. I'm not sure what the distinction is in my mind...but that doesn't seem to bother me like using the red carpet lane does.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the airline offered red carpet access for a fee (say $50) and you paid for it or your employer did, would you feel awkward?

Because that's what you essentially do today -- by buying a premium class ticket or by buying lots of flights (proxy for # miles) over time. It's a bundled benefit. I am sure many of those who frown upon elites or premium passengers using this bundled benefit are at the same time complaining that the bundled checked-bag benefit went away.

21. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the biggest embarrassment one feels is that others look at you as if you are cutting in the line (akin to jumping into the queue like one does at museums in Italy! :mad:), but the truth is the airline is recognizing your loyalty or $$ by saying you get an express pass. The problem is that the people in the other lane either don't know this, or feel that they are just as loyal to the airline. Both parts have nothing to do with you, but you may feel some anxiety about it.

I say, you have earned your spot, and you should use it. Why, because the airline offers it as a perk. Similar to UDU's on UA. You can refuse them because you may be embarrassed but you have certainly earned it and deserve to enjoy it.

<shrink hat off!>

ACMM and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  22. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    It's apple......insert your own joke. :)

23. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can think of - few times where I "cut in line" because of status. Each time there was a line of about 50+ people, and each times I didn't care about them or what they thought about me getting to go in front of all of them. If the pax don't allow me to merge into the line at the scanners (been a problem a couple times, other times gate agent scanned BP immediately), after a couple people, I basically force myself in front of people.
    I don't feel even slightly bad, I've flown a ton on UA, and as long as I continue to do so, I will utilize every privilege the grant me to the fullest.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

24. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I clicked the link, but it went to just a blank page, I thought it might be my iPhone, so jumped on computer and no luck there either. I ended up finding (what look to be) a copy on alternet. Too bad there are no comments there.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

25. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I'm a bad person, but I frequently aim to time my arrival at the gate for more or less that situation (right at the end of priority boarding or as general boarding starts) to avoid waiting around at the gate. No awkwardness.
    Other than the resentment that I imagine some people feel, there's certainly little related to reality in the article.

Doing initial elite boarding down "the carpet" is mildly ridiculous, but having the carpet available later in boarding is invaluable. My dream would be if the GA scanned in the general members slowly to avoid congestion in the jetbridge, leaving a clear path nearly to the plane for late carpet boarders, but that's clearly impractical to expect.