Reconsideration: preemptive or wait for rejection?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by michael21, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have recently applied for two Chase cards. Do you think it's smarter to preemptively call them ask for the status and hope to get pushed through like that or wait for the rejection letter and then call back and hope to be reconsidered then?

2. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd call and ask about the status. There's nothing to be gained by waiting. With my last app with Chase, I wasn't approved instantly. But when I called a day or so later, I had been approved.

3. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually call immediately and ask them to look up my app using my social security number. I'm impatient, so I prefer knowing the outcome and negotiating an approval sooner rather than later!

It *could* be better to call sooner if you have other applications with other banks, because those may not show up on your credit report when you call immediately. I'd call separately for each card and sometimes you may need more than 1 call. Good luck!

wrxmom likes this.
  4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But since both are with chase won't both show up if I tell them my SS number?

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought Chase would know if you applied twice either way. Thus the whole discussion on not applying for multiple Chase cards within a short period of time ... unless it was 1 personal & 1 business.

6. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One was business but both are tied to the same SS number. Does that matter? It was the ink bold and BA so I was thinking we can say we want the BA for international travel-the security of the chip thing (which I don't really get) and ink to separate business expenses.

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:

Bus/Personal have different dept so you'll have to call to each one either way. Personal can't see Business ... but Business can see Personal so I'd call Personal first and get the BA okayed. Then Call Business & tell them you want to seperate bus exp.

8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which number goes where?

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay so I just called Chase and they said that I was declined. And then asked if there's anything we can do she said that we can try closing one of my cards and see if that helps. So I close the card I opened up like three months ago and then she said it's still pending so that can take possibly up to 30 days. Anyone have experience with that kind of thing? Once they resubmit with a recommendation to close the card and replace it with the new one is that generally successful?

11. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got approved for business! :)

wrxmom and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  12. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called and rather than close another card had them move part of the credit line to the new card -I only needed to keep $5k on the one so had some cushion to play with

13. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Advice: don't do this too often. It will affect the average age of your accounts, which factors into your credit score.

Also, does this mean that you got two business accounts for the same business, per your earlier thread?

14. jpgisbd

jpgisbd Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied for the United Explorer and Sapphire preferred at the same time. I wasn't instantly approved for either. I called and thought everything was okay. Had to close my BA card that I opened last year but I was okay with that since I had three personal cards at the time. The Explorer card showed up the next day in my online account but the Sapphire didn't. I had to call a second time to get the Sapphire approved. I do think it is better to do one business and one personal but it is possible to get two personal although probably not recommended.

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  15. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done two personal Chase apps multiple times and been approved every time. I always wait at least 90 days before applying for chase cards however. Usually if you can provide a really good reason why you want both, they will approve (ex: spend bonuses, elite status, etc).

jkchan83, Slow_Mustang and wrxmom like this.
  16. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've currently got 6 personal chase cards. There are some offers out there I'd like to jump on, but I'm afraid!

17. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    There have been times when they insisted on my closing one of the Chase CC's to get a new one, and other times, they offered to use some of the credit limit from another card for a new card approval. So, it all depends on the situation - the agent doing the evaluation, when was the last card requested, and how many cards does one have. As is evident from the posts above, there are general guidelines for Chase underwriters to follow, but they do have some flexibility, if the applicants can come up with some solid/believable reasons for another card.

18. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless they were opened very recently AND you are not too attached to them - they look more like 6 bargaining chips to me. Perhaps at least one is? I'm one who only closes a Chase CC when opening another. Often the CSR will suggest "I see you are not using card x, may I close it to give you this really cool card that you just signed up for?"

19. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an app and called the next day and they told me they denied it unless I wanted to move some credit off another card, which I did. Pretty standard with Chase. I have plenty of credit...don't really want any more :)...just want the bonus :).

edekba likes this.
  20. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually call a day or two after I have applied. Too soon they will not have the application information in, too late is a chance of rejection. I had to call in for my last couple of applications. In most of them it involved moving some credit around, although the last one, when I called and said we can move some credit around, in the end I was approved without moving any credit around with the new card getting its own brand spanking new credit line.
    I take pain not to abuse the system (too much). I always wait at least 90 days between applications.
    Reality is I think I've settled now on the Chase cards that I am going to keep, despite some of them having an annual fee. It remain to be seen what new offer Chase could dangle in front of me to see if I'll jump that card - but frankly there is nothing out there that I would like enough to close one of my current cards.

21. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I currently have 5 Chase personal cards. I applied for 2 cards (Sapphire Preferred and UA Club) at the same time. I was instantly approved for the UA Club, but had to call for the Sapphire Preferred. They moved some credit lines around to open the SP.

I also just applied for the Ink Bold in response to a targeted mailer for my at-home business (50,000 points after 1st purchase, no minimum spend). I did not get immediate approval, so I called in and spoke with a business credit analyst for that. That guy REALLY cut my personal credit lines to approve me for the Ink Bold, but I got it through. I'm tempted by the current Chase offers, but after the recent adventures, I'm going to wait at least 4 months before applying for any more.

My wife, on the other hand, currently has 0 Chase accounts...

My advice is to call the reconsideration line after about a day if you are not instantly approved.