Reconsideration Line x 2 ??

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Up&Away, Feb 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid I've made some very newbie mistakes and need to know if there's any way to fix them.

My husband applied for the personal SW card from Chase with the 50k mile bonus last Nov. We held it until January and activated it then. I've charged and paid about $225 worth of stuff on there. (We are working on meeting a minimum spend on my Chase Sapphire Preferred right now.) Last week DH applied for the Chase SW biz card for the 50k mile bonus. We got the rejection letter this afternoon: Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us. Remember, DH only has 1 Chase card. So, I briefly coached him on calling the reconsideration line and turned him loose. (Mistake #1 since he's really not into this like I am.) He described the business as something that's been a hobby for several years but we are looking to develop it more. He answered all the questions well except a big one: he told them it still would probably earn under $600 for the year. UGH! I think this is the main reason they probably turned us down, even though we offered to move some of the credit from his personal card. They said it was also because we don't have enough history with them on the personal card.

The business is something that's been a hobby for a few years, but I am definitely interested in doing more with it in the coming year -- that wasn't just a line we were feeding them. Is there anything I (through DH) can do to try and get this cc? Have we already shot ourselves in the foot?

I was dreaming of that companion pass....

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Try and call again and see if you can get a different answer. Remember the one rule: If you don't like the first answer, call again.

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try again, the worst they can say is no again. However, with such short history with Chase I doubt if you'll get a different response.

Chase become to be very pesky lately. My last application was originally declined just because I had too many requests with them (at that time 3 active card, the last one received about 5-6 months prior) - they did not even pull the credit report until I've called the reconsideration line, it was all done internally.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, actually, the worst they can do is probably doing another credit pull and then declining him again.

flyingdawg and deant like this.
  5. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the first call happened recently (i.e., days) more than likely they will not do another pull.

flyingdawg and gwhit21 like this.
  6. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been successful on a second call without having my credit pulled again. I was conservative and waited a week in between calls.

7. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had my credit pulled twice before on a biz card but it was with Citi. Since it was Citi, of course I had to send a letter, which meant that they didn't reconsider it until about 3 weeks later (I was abroad at the time, so it took longer). They made a pull again and still denied me.

However, I've also had success with them reconsidering and approving me without even pulling anything again. I guess you have to decide whether the Companion Pass is worth the worst case scenario (an extra pull and still getting denied).

Smart move waiting to activate until January, though. Well done.

8. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a little carried away too. Signed the wife up for Explorer and Priority cards 2 weeks apart. Reconsideration call and a transfer of credit took about 5 minutes. I guess that means no SW companion pass this year. Thanks for the info.

9. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOOHOO!!! Just called the reconsideration line again and was approved in the matter of a few minutes. Now to get the extra 10k points for the CP!

deant and flyingdawg like this.
  10. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good for you! Thx for letting us know how things worked out for you.

deant likes this.