Reconfigured FC cabin on DL MD-90

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will be old news to some and is noted in mersk862's excellent thread on DL hard product offerings, but I didn't find a description here of the newly redone front cabin on the MD-90s.

As mersk862 noted, these aircraft have 16 FC seats, configured as four rows of 2-2. This is how to identify these planes on seating maps. However, a month or so ago, I was to be on one of these which was swapped to the older version with fewer FC seats. After the equipment change, I observed that the GA moved some FC assignments, presumably to protect those higher on the upgrade priority list

The overhead bins are unchanged, so they're still on the small side, with larger bins over the CD seats. Normal wheeled bags don't fit into the AB bins. The material around the bins still looks old and discolored, making the cabin look depressing IMO, despite the new seats and other freshening that was done.

I wasn't seated in the first row, so I can't comment directly on legroom for bulkhead seats. However, I did observe that the legs of bulkhead aisle passengers were angled into the aisle during my flight. The hard bulkhead wall has no cutouts. It ends at about the middle of the aisle seats, so that those passengers can stretch more than their window seatmates.

These planes have no closet. FAs were hanging coats in the galley area.

There is gogo wifi service (for a fee) throughout the aircraft. I observed in-seat power outlets, at least in FC. There was no IFE offered on my 2.5 hour flight, not even music,

My biggest surprise was that the seat back pocket arrangement is different from anything I've previously seen. There are twin upper pockets for DL magazines, safety information, and the gogo information card. They are not expandable and just large enough to hold a few standard sized magazined. Then one observes twin lower pockets, made of mesh. These look to be the size of a liter water bottle. Upon exploration--it wasn't obvious at first--I discovered a larger expandable pocket behind the two mesh pockets. It was still smaller than the standard ones on other aircraft.

Tray tables come up and out of the center armrests and can be used in the half or fully opened position, with the standard cup well. They were smaller than I've ever seen on mainline FC, perhaps only about 9 inches deep. The center armrest has a funny spot for glasses in the shape of two circles stuck together. I didn't find a further little pull-out table as some planes have.

2. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new MD-90 (M9K) first class seats should be the same seats found on the reconfigured MD-88's (M8R). They are also the same seats, albeit slightly more narrow, found on the CR7's that were just outfitted with first class.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the CRJ-700 seats are different from the seats in the CRJ-900? That surprises me.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They must be, because the CRJ-900 seats are very different from the new MD-90 seats, which the poster above said were the same as the CRJ-700 FC seats.

6. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me see if I can do this without making it confusing...

The CRJ900 fleet has (2) different seat styles. There are the seats from the original Delta Connection side (Comair, SkyWest, ASA and the ex-Freedom birds) that do not have adjustable headrests. The former NWA Airlink -900's (Mesaba) have adjustable headrests. In fact the ex-Airlink -900's have first class seats from a totally different manufacturer (and they are much more comfortable in my opinion).

The seats on the native DL Connection -900's are made by Weber, Delta's preferred seat provider. These seats are I believe an earlier version of the seats that are now showing up on the CRJ700's and the MD88 and MD90 remods. The "newer" version Weber first class seat does have adjustable headrests, even on the -700's.

Does that make sense? Splitting hairs here.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does, because AFAIK the CRJs that I've flown have all been Mesaba, Compass, and Pinnacle.