Recommendations on Spring Break Destinations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Jimgotkp, Jan 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since this will be my last Spring Break before I graduate in May, I want to have a fun and memorable time with my friends without breaking the bank. I’m trying to save my miles/points, so this will be a paid trip.

The only requirement is that we are at a beach destination or at a resort with a lot of pools. We also prefer if the hotel rates are <$150-200 per night. We are not interested in going to Florida either since hotel rates are already ridiculous ($250+) and we went there two years ago.

I came up with a few destinations but I’m not sure how I feel about them:
    1.San Diego/La Jolla
    a.Stay at the Hilton Waterfront and use my HHonors Gold benefit?
    b.Stay at the Kimpton properties after doing a status match to Inner Circle?

2. Huntington Beach
    a.Stay at the HR Hunt. Beach after doing a status challenge to GP Diamond?

3.Scottsdale/Phoenix
    a.Stay at one of the Hilton resorts and use my HHonors Gold benefit?

4.Las Vegas
    a.I have myVegas points that I can redeem for F&B credit and rooms.

5.Cancun
    a.Stay at the Marriott CasaMagna (all-inclusive) after doing a status challenge to MR Platinum?

6.Puerto Vallarta
    a.Stay at the new Hilton PVR Resort (all-inclusive) and use my HHonors Gold status?

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Thanks!

marcwint55, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are the dates & what is your departure city/airport?

marcwint55 and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    March 10-15/16 from ORD and NYC/PHL

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if you want to just hang out in/by the pool or seriously swim; the Las Vegas Embassy Suites has a very long but irregularly shaped pool. There are lots of different areas in Florida, e.g., Clearwater is quite different from Fort Lauderdale.

If you book right away you may be able to find a good deal on the Any Weekend Anywhere sale.

San Diego is a nice place to visit, but the ocean is far too cold in the spring -- I'd recommend going in late September or early October.

The Hilton Frankfurt has an attached health club with a great pool but is likely too expensive in air fare. Likewise the Grand Hilton Seoul which has a nice pool.

Jimgotkp and marcwint55 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to drink without going broke, the all inclusive is the way to go. I personally like Puerto Vallarta better than Cancun as it is a bit more tranquil, and I don't drink much myself.

If you are looking for a totally crazy party atmosphere, Cancun is the place to go.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was actually looking at the Elara since I hear great things about the property and it's location on the Strip. The rates at Clearwater were quite high when I last checked! :(

Good point that the Pacific is way too cold in the spring, I totally forgot about that.

Unfortunately, we don't have the budget for int'l travel unless fares drop by a lot! :)

anabolism and marcwint55 like this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any recommendations on hotels in PVR? The all-inclusive rate at the Hilton is $260 per night...

We prefer PVR compared to CUN as well since it won't be as crazy. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time we were there we stayed at a resort called Paradise Village in Nuevo Vallarta. We had a two bedroom unit and we were very pleased. It is a nice resort on the beach in a very quiet area and the service was excellent.
    It is not a 5 star property, but we were not looking for that. We took my youngest daughter and a friend of hers and we all had a fantastic time there. Nuevo Vallarta is about ten minutes from Puerto Vallarta and tends to be a bit more upscale and quieter than being in the heart of the town, however you can easily get to anything there very quickly.
    We took at ATV tour that was fantastic and even included a tour of a tequila producing facility. There is zip lining within about a half hour drive and one of the most fantastic views I have enjoyed in a restaurant was also about 45 minutes south of the resort. Close by was a small zoo where we were able to actually play with and have our pictures taken with lion and tiger cubs.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review on Paradise Village! :)

marcwint55 likes this.