Recommendations for Chicago area?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Singapore Flyer, Jun 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife, SIL and 3 young kids are going to Chicago to visit family and friends. Haven't been there in over 2 decades. Any suggestions on which Hilton hotel to stay in that area? We don't plan on having a car. Taking the El and walking for the most part. Traveling in late July. Probably book two rooms for the stay...wife and i with the youngest. Also, any suggestions on places to visit or eat, would be greatly appreciated. TYIA. @Sweet Willie any wise and sage thoughts on this?

Sweet Willie and marcwint55 like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you or your family are history buffs, consider the Hilton by Grant Park (720 S.Michigan Ave). It was the focal point during the 1968 revolt.

Singapore Flyer and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The aquarium is quite nice and the Museum of Science and Industry has a German u boat captured in WW2. I personally like Carson's for BBQ, although there are several good BBQ spots, especially if you are brave enough to go to the south side.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miller's Pub near the Palmer House is a must do, as is the place to eat in Macy's.

DTWBOB

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from Chicago again and i would highly recommend you stay away from the Loop. Its pretty dead at night ... If on Hilton I would stay @ theWit or Conrad :)

But that's just me

6. cjl425

cjl425 Active Member

Status Points:
    Palmer House is a great place. Stayed there week after week for business travel a couple of months.

7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Thanks for the leads and ideas.

8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I highly recommend staying on the North side. The Drake is very close to the Hancock building, and the Conrad is attached to the shops at 500 N. Michigan. They are both great hotels, with the Drake being a classic style hotel, and the Conrad being a bit more modern and elegant hotel. There is also an Embassy Suites at 600 N. State that is well located. Take a look at tripadvisor.com for further info and reviews of these hotels.

9. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I actually decided to go with the ES on N State as it is close to a train station to visit family in Chinatown and to walk around downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hotel has an excellent location to both Rush St. and Michigan Ave. I wish you an excellent stay in Chitown.