Recommendation on Chase Credit Card for United Mileage Plus

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by ezb, Jul 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    There seem to be so many options and frankly I'm confused, so I turn to you all seeking recommendations, feedback, ideas, and pearls of wisdom.

Some background: I use credit cards heavily at work to purchase merchandise, so am not interested in cards that provide 2X-5X miles for gas, food etc. I don't use the cards for any of that, just merchandise.

I've seen where certain Chase cards provide for PQM, is that real? I have amassed hundreds of thousands of miles, and since none of them BIS, my PQM is zero. Would love to find a way to increase that.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably want the United Presidential Platinum visa card:

ezb and Counsellor like this.
  3. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    So based on the above, if I run up $500K on the card in a calendar year, it earns me 100K "Flex PQM" which in turn would qualify me as Premier 1K?

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, unfortunately, one cannot make 1K on FlexPQM alone. They are good up to Premier Platinum, after which one has to fly or buy 25K PQMs to make 1K .

5. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on your profile name, it appears I've got the right person to answer these questions!

I've been busy researching, and there seems to be a fair amount of confusion on attaining 1K by using a combo of FEPQMs and PQMs, but your explanation seems to be spot on.

Honestly I'd probably be content with Premier Platinum. In fact, because of my accrued mileage balance, I may have to settle on Premier Platinum since I don't ever actually pay for flights and thus don't earn PQMs. Is there that much of a difference between the 2 levels?

Thanks again for your help.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

But that card isn't available anymore, as far as I know. It was replaced by the United Club VISA card.

NYCUA1K and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

In existing card holders' wallets, yes. I don't see a way to apply for it. Got a page with an "Apply Now" button?

And to quote http://www.mileageplusupdates.com/

1. For 2014, the Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) requirement is waived for existing Presidential Plus Cardmembers for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification. The Presidential Plus Card is no longer available to new applicants.

Espan, LETTERBOY and boondr like this.
  9. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:

HMWT is right.
    That is a carryover from the old Continental Card (hence the "Presidential Plus" name) hasn't been available for quite awhile.

Chase still maintains info sites for all the discontinued sign-ups, but still alive in existing customers wallets, cards like my United Mileage Plus Select.

IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware of this and the website makes it seem as though the card is available, but there is no way to apply for it. It is a former CO card that has indeed been replaced with the UC card, since, except for getting rid of the FlexPQMs, the benefits are the same. This means that there is no longer an active card in the Chase-UA cards portfolio that earns the holder PQMs.

8MiHi, ezb and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  12. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:

Now that's a bummer...

8MiHi and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

That's the one I am holding on to as well. 3X on United and 2X on many categories is quite good, in addition to the 5000 PQM for united.com purchases.

boondr and ezb like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi and ezb like this.
  15. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:

And after just getting off of the phone with Chase, the United Club card is the one I am switching to. Actually upgrading from my Explorer card.

True - there are no more NEW Chase cards that let you earn any type of PQM. But the United Club does earn me 1.5 miles per dollar spent, which is all I really wanted... for me this is like getting a 50% raise.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The move from the Explorer to the UC card is better ONLY if you will not be spending more than $25K, with more than $5K of it on UA-related purchases....I did the math here. ;)

17. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that's some serious math!

My spending on everything else [EE] will be well above $20-25K annually.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

I am not going to read through that lengthy math example again, so perhaps I am misunderstanding you.

Consider $105,001 spend (the OP talked about buying merchandise, so I assume $100k of non-bonused 1x/1.5x charges). $5001 of that UA-related purchases, so > $5k.

Which card is better? (by that I mean earns more miles, thus ignoring other aspects such as Club access)

Ultimately, the better card depends on the card holder's spending pattern and benefits needs.

ezb and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No complicated math needed

Everything else being equal, including spend on UA merchandise, the UC card wins when the spend is more than $20K on non-UA mechandise (EE).

[UC]: 2*UA + 1.5*EE = [EXPLORER]: 2*UA + 1.0*EE + 10,000.

2*UA is a wash if everything is equal with respect to UA spend. That leaves EE. If EE = $20K, then they are equal.

$20,000* 1.5miles/$ = 30,000 miles
    $20,000* 1.0mile/$ + 10,000miles = 30,000 miles

Beyond $20K, UC wins. The nuance comes in when there is more spend on UA-related purchases on the Explorer than on the UC.

For volume spend on non-UA, UC wins. The case I considered was when one just wants to reach $25K to get the 10K bonus miles, which is my situation. After I get to $25K on the Explorer, I switch to the UC.;)

boondr likes this.
  20. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    True true.

And that was my original point: I want miles and lots of 'em. My annual spend will be well over $100K, all on non-UA items. So I am confident I made the right decision.

Saddened that there is no program to earn PQMs anymore on UA. Does anyone know of any credit card that delivers a PQM-type reward for any award program? American, Delta, etc?

I thank you ALL for your input, especially NYCUA1K: your math is tremendous.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  21. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta Plat Amex earns up to 10k MQM for 25k spend up to $50k max spend so 20k MQM max per year. It has a $150 fee and other bennies.

Delta Reserve earns 15k MQM per $30k spent up to $60k max spend so you can earn a max of 30k MQM per year. It has a $450 a year fee and some extra bennies.

Then you can also get a business version of both of these AX DL cards for two more annual fees and spend another $110k total (same thresholds for each card) and earn another 50k MQM per year.

That gives you 100k MQM across 4 cards for $220k spend. You'd be platinum at 75k MQM and if you just fly 25k real BIS miles and you are DL Diamond.

Plus you'll also earn 250k Sky Pesos since eaxh $ spent earns RDM too. It would enough miles for two people to take a partner biz flight to Asia if you find a partner low level. Diamond would also let you gift gold level status to a SO in your life if you wanted.

AA has their CITI AA exec elite card that can earn up to 10k eqm for 40k spend. That is the max option with AA.

Or not exactly related but US lets you buy top tier for basically 3k (though with merger this will likely change).

8MiHi and ezb like this.
  22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sounds like you've made a good decision for you. One of the reasons I would consider the Chase Ultimate Rewards cards are the sign-up bonuses. 50 or 60K is a nice bump to your MileagePlus account.

ezb and LETTERBOY like this.
  23. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and an update for anyone who might be interested.

In addition to the Explorer card that I just upgraded to United Club, I also held a United Gold MileagePlus Card [converted from Continental after the merger].

I was able to close that card, while at the same time transferring it's credit limit to my new United Club card. So now my United Club card is double it's original credit limit AND earns me 1.5X miles on everyday purchases.

Win win win.

LETTERBOY, NYCUA1K and IDGflygirl like this.
  24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If one does not terribly mind the annual fees, having both cards is a good option, which I currently have. I get the United club membership thru the UC, for which I pay with miles, and then I use the Explorer to get the extra 10K bonus miles after I spend $25K, most of it on my relatively pricey W fares for int' travel. After I hit the end of the spend range in which the Explorer is advantageous over the UC card, I start using exclusively the UC. An advantage of the UC Business card, which I have, is that like many AMEX cards it does not appear in my 3-bureau credit record because it is not reported by Chase, so that any balance I carry on it does not affect my credit utilization (debt to credit ratio), which now stands at 9% :cool:.

8MiHi likes this.
  25. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the annual fees tend to irrelevancy [even at $395 for the Club card] when compared with the return.

For example, the Club card annual fee is $395, and my explorer card was $65, so a difference of $330, but with 1.5X times miles on the Club card it pays for itself quickly.

If you conservatively value miles at a penny per, that $330 "costs" me 33K miles. With the 50% mileage bonus that means I need to spend $22K additional to break even, and since it's for business use I will *easily*.

Interesting about the business card not being reported to credit bureaus, it makes sense I suppose.

NYCUA1K likes this.