Recommendation for a destination and hotel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Thank You Come Again, Aug 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Thank You Come Again

Thank You Come Again Active Member

Status Points:
    A friend's family and my family are heading to LA and San Diego for vacation between August 21st and August 26th.

I wanted to get recommendations for a town/hotel that is in between LA and SD:
    The criteria is as follows:
    1) We plan to visit Universal Studios in LA, Legoland in Carlsbad, SeaWorld/Zoo in SD
    2) My buddy's youngest is 1 year old and hence, we would prefer not changing hotels during our trip; we don't mind driving an hour or so to visit a destination
    3) I think we'd prefer to be closer to LA since we fly in and out of LAX
    4) One of the day's we are there, we plan to just relax in and around the hotel so a town with a beach/nice restaurants or a hotel with a nice pool etc. would be great
    5) I am HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, and Hyatt Diamond so a reasonable hotel in these programs would be preferred; however any other hotels with possible promotions or rates around $300 per night would be acceptable as well

Thanks!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to reconsider and stay at two different properties ... LA (Universal area) is about 3-hours drive from San Diego! There is a Hilton & a Sheraton next to Universal Hollywood. And, IMO, the best hotel deal for family visiting San Diego & its environs is the Homewood Suites SAN-Liberty Station

edekba, LauraPDX and LeeInDC like this.
  3. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sounds as though you have way too much planned for a 5 day trip with a one year old, if you are going to do that much driving each day. I agree with Kalboz to split your hotels (3 nights in SD, 2 in LA) and make life simpler.

edekba and Kalboz like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    changing hotels is less of a bother than trying to commute between LA and SAN. LA traffic is terrible.

edekba and Kalboz like this.
  5. Thank You Come Again

Thank You Come Again Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. The more I think about it, makes sense to me as well to split my stay. Now I have to find two good hotels :). Definitely looking at Honewood Suites.

Thx.

Kalboz likes this.