Recommend a DSLR

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Apr 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like something broke my Nikon D60. Memory card doesn't stick in the slot anymore, estimate is nearly $200 for repair. Doesn't seem worth the money (might take it apart myself, though).

So I am looking for a new camera. Would likely want to continue to use my existing lenses, so Nikon it is. Suggestions?

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    d7000 =)

I'm saving up for one myself.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    In what kind of applications are you expecting to use the new cam, e.g. business/commercial, hobby, travel, nature/outdoors, etc.? Did you like everything about the D60, or were there new features that you'd like to have? If so, then now would be a great time to upgrade. Otherwise, replacing just the body with a slightly outdated model would be really inexpensive.

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want to stick to Nikon, I would say D90. Used D90s sell for around 300-400$. I find it really hard to justify the price of D7000. If you use the camera mostly for travel, I would suggest looking in the mirrorless cameras like the NEX or the Olympus PEN. Their performance in good light is really good, very close what you can get with the APS-C DSLR camera.

5. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering you can buy a used D60 from KEH for about $200, definitely not worth repairing it in my mind. D90 would be a good move, it is under $500 on KEH for a quality model, the D7000 is under $700. I still have my D40 and refuse to upgrade, no need to for me!

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry ... what's KEH

7. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.keh.com/

Not Kenmore Air Harbor, Seattle, WA, US for sure! :D

edekba likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was considering the D5200. Why did you pick the D7000?

Hobby/travel primarily. Some features I missed were video and live view, even though when I bought the D60 I told myself I didn't need them.

I don't think I am in the market for a used camera. I don't want to buy someone else's problems, considering that my D60 is suffering from a sudden mechanical problem that wasn't caused by dropping or other mistreatment.

9. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't get D90. I would get D7000 prices will probably go down since the D7100 is out now.

10. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have forty, Nikon D5100 cameras that I use for work. I love the articulating LCD screen. For more info go to cnet.com or http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d5200

11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know you asked specifically about DSLR's, and I myself was a big DSLR enthusiast. But last time I needed a new cam, I decided to get a portable. My requirements were very similar to yours, and I just couldn't resist the weight savings and convenience. You're also much less conspicuous in a crowded place, so others don't feel self-concious around the guy with a big camera.

I picked Canon SX260-HS about 2 yrs ago, and I'm sure you can get better features now for the same price and size. The outdoor/scenery type of shots come out about the same picture quality as with a DSLR, plus I get the 20X optical zoom, GPS, HD movies, live view, etc. I also considered the 4/3 size, but again a removable lense was still a very heavy and bulky part.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does it have to be a case of either/or? ;)

I actually have a smaller point and shoot camera, a Panasonic Lumix (too lazy to look up) waterproof camera. Depending on the situation I take it instead of the DSLR. On many trips I take both.

Bad news update: Picked up the D60 from the store; it had been shipped back from Nikon after I rejected the $184 repair estimate. Cost me $25 for shipping and handling. Sticking an SD card in, it now works again! I wonder if they opened it up to evaluate the cost, then saw that it was a minor issue that's easily fixed, so they did it right then and there (instead of opening it up again later) and hoped I would pay the $184 for it.

But now I don't get a new camera... :(

MX likes this.
  13. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course if you didn't mind taking 2 cameras on trips, then my arguments about weight and size do not apply! ;)
    Congrats on getting your D60 working again. You have more options now, and can still get a new one! :)