Recognition while handling IRROPS

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by BGO-commuter, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

BGO-commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last few weeks I've noticed a clear improvement in recognition while handling unexpected situations.

I've recently encountered several situations resulting in somewhat chaos at the gate (diversion due to loss of engine power, fog, and bad weather), and in all of those cases the gate ensured that status customers were handled first by yelling out for Pandion and Gold-members.

As usual the gate is a zoo in these cases but recently SGS has called out for status-members, allowing them to arrange their bookings first. Earlier this was handled as first come-first served, so this is a clear improvement. Unfortunately this has been handled less than discreetly, ensuring some irritated customers. I've personally experienced almost being in a fist fight by PAX that hated me for taking the last seat on an overbooked flight.

I'm always happy when I can get home as early as possible, and I really appreciate that SAS is trying to prioritize good customers. However, I've seen several situations where customers get really annoyed when status PAX take their seat.

Has anyone else encountered this improvement, and how do you feel about the lack of discretion in these situation?
    Any thoughts about how SAS could handle this without annoying everyone without status?

Someone likes this.
  2. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    The recognition in itself is ofcourse always welcome, if not even expected...
    However, I don't understand why they didn't use the information in the reservation and call status-passengers by name instead of shouting out for EBG/EBP. Not that I have been a victim of many IRROP situations, but when it happened last time in Sweden I think SAS handled the situation in a descreet way. I even started to doubt that there was any prio given to status members... [​IMG]

3. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have prefered that "unexprected" situations hadn't occured at all. BGO is one of the chosen few destinations from OSL that SAS usually select to cancel if they are having a problem aircraft or is missing a crew. OSL-BGO has been hit 6 times already in March, and out of OSL the SAS regularity is as low as 97.3% this month (almost 3 out of 100 flights are cancelled).

4. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Normally, they should just send an SMS with information regarding the new flight. It seems like this is a bigger problem early morning and late afternoon. Maybe the back office is understaffed to handle rebooking of a full flight?
    I however understand that they can't call out individual names. Main priority should be getting the flight out on time.

5. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree. March has been a horrible month as a commuter. I've had several days missing the first few meetings due to cancellations and delays. I've really enjoyed the enhanced reliability the last few years, but it seems like SAS is falling back to old sins right now.

[OT: is there a 'quote multiple people in one post' functionality here that I can't see?]

6. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points: