Recline Gate 2: Another Flight Diverted

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MX, Aug 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe soon it will become cheaper to restore a comfortable seat pitch. :D
    source

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the knee defender has been used on me before, and I just thought the seat did not recline..

Next time I will check and be sure...before I move to another seat..

Why fight...hard to get ahead trying to get even, but the back if their clothes would make a good spot for some chewing gum...:mad:

3. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    haven't seen too many knee defenders so far, maybe i'm just not observant enough to date:)

Newscience and MX like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yet another installment to this fast growing fad:
    source

Newscience likes this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if the flight is completely full and you can't move to another seat? What next?

MX likes this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA, AA, now DL. That covers all three major airlines in the U.S. and their seperate alliances. Maybe it's time to rethink the tightening up of pitch and width on their seating and allow pax a tiny bit more room to sit comfortably on the aircraft. Might save on heated tempers, along with the costs and passenger's inconvenience of diverted flights causing misconnects along with all the extra costs of the added fuel, landing fees, and accomodations for those missing their connections.

An extra inch or two may make a difference, as not everyone can afford an F or J seat while flying.

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree, and yet we live in an entitled society who will find something else to complain about.

I look at all the overweight people, and know the weight and balance to get that thing off the ground has got to drive the guys up front crazy.

I don't mind the guy that leans back, I hate it when the person is so big they take up my seat also,

That is why they call it public transportation...

Next time we'll just take the Citation 525 .

Easier to buy a ticket, than buy 120 gal of fuel an hour, but we can ride 4, as long as they are going the same way..

Some of these people just need to grow up.

blackjack-21 and MX like this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised the airlines do not cater to that demographic. They could start by installing one "fat row" (E+XL) with one less and wider than standard seats. There's got to be enough demand to fill at least one such row on every flight.

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    They start doing that and you would see law suits I am sure

satman40 likes this.
  10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What law could that possibly violate? :confused:
    Should manufacturers of XL clothing, cars, and everything else be sued as well?

Flyer1976, satman40 and blackjack-21 like this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call it the Economy Indulgence seats, whatever that sounds fanciful and do not target it to any group specifically. It is just another optional upgrade and market forces will guide the passengers to the right seat choices.

satman40 and MX like this.
  12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, anyone should be able to buy them, just like the current E+.

satman40 likes this.
  13. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a plan! ;)

MX likes this.
  14. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't Southwest (WN) already require an obviously obese person to purchase an additional seat to accomodate their large size without spilling over into another person's seat and armrest? Or was that one vetoed before it started? We don't fly WN, so I don't know the answer.

Also, it would really help if all the airlines published their entire additional charges for an E+, Premium Economy, or similarly titled seats prior to booking tickets, so people could decide in advance if it's worth it to book a more comfortable seat with additional recline, BEFORE booking a flight and seeing what seats are still available on each flight's seating charts. They can easily show charts with the needed FF miles for bookings in each class, and by flight distances, how much harder would it be to then have a seperate list of the dollar charges for the Premium Coach seating too, by distance and/or aircraft on the flights. So far only AA of all the carriers seem to show those additional optional seat charges when checking on their seat maps, but none others that I can find do so until after you complete a booking, when the option and costs is then offered.

MX and satman40 like this.
  15. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not on a large commercial aircraft, it doesn't. The bulk of the weight on those flights is comes from the fuel + commercial cargo. The weight of the actual passengers is almost incidental.

Now on small prop planes and the smaller RJs, passenger weight actually matters...

MX, satman40 and blackjack-21 like this.
  16. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, with the bonus that the cost of the second seat is fully refundable if the flight is not sold out.

Southwest also makes it extremely easy to book two seats for one passenger online. The passenger chooses 2 as the number of travelers, then puts "Firstname Lastname" as traveler #1, and "Firstname XS Lastname" as traveler #2. Using the middle initials XS tells Southwest that the seat is a second seat for the same passenger.

Of course, the reason it's so easy on Southwest is that they don't assign seats in advance. Too bad that the airlines which do haven't come up with an equally simple process for their customers to use when booking an extra seat!

Yes, yes, YES! How can customers vote with their wallets when they don't know what the various options cost?

I also with the major travel booking sites like Expedia and Kayak would allow searches for premium economy products (especially on international routes).

Flyer1976, MX, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  17. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously more important on smaller aircraft, with their admittedly less powerful engines. However we've seen it also apply on larger aircraft too at times, and they may also factor into the calculation the weather and temperature conditions at the time. Two long ago examples we can remember: On a Worldways stretched DC-8 for a TATL flight from YYZ-BFS, my wife's row along with several other rows of passengers were asked to move to the front for weight and balance at takeoff, and then returned to their assigned seats at cruising altitude. Another time, on a very hot July afternoon's (110F) flight on an AC B727 from LAS-YYZ, five last minute arrivals on board caused the flightdeck crew to recalculate the takeoff weight limits because of the heat and additional weight of the pax and their luggage. Result was a 45 minute delay for offloading fuel and we still just did manage to lift off very near the end of the runway and had to circle several times within the mountain bowl surrounding LAS to get to the height to go over them and continue on our flight's assigned course.

More recently on some larger aircraft with a full, heavy load in the cargo hold, airlines have opted to block out (not sell) some seats in order to accomodate heavier cargo, which brings in more revenue then pax tickets.

MX, satman40 and Newscience like this.
  18. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fuel weight is 6.5 pounds per gallon, and oil a little more, as the outside tempature increase, so does runway lengths.

I should have not made the remark about overweight people, and yet they are eating them self in an early grave. I see it every day.

I've spend a few thousand hours in the front seat, it is a great feeling.

MX and blackjack-21 like this.
  19. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Front seat flight deck, left side or right? Wanna trade for a slightly used high speed Pontiac that still runs extremely well, but isn't equipped with the wings and empenage to get us off the ground...yet?

MX and satman40 like this.
  20. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stared out with a Cessna 140, and then a Piper Colt...first low wing was an Erocoupe....almost 60 years ago...

Lot of planes use VW engines,

The old Pontiac Chieftain, was a nice vehicle. And probably worth more than the Erocoupe.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  21. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know about your old Erocoupe, but my high speed Pontiac has a 140 hp 2.2 litre engine that moves us very well on the expressways here, including the passing gear with the flaps and speedbrakes up. The only VW we owned was a 1970 VW fastback, but I don't recall the horsepower on her. I did manage to blow the fuel injectors on her engine on a trip back from Florida to NJ about six years after we bought her new in '70.

Are you still flying commercially, or were you a commercial pilot, and now just as a hobby, to keep your hand in?

satman40 likes this.
  22. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Retired, the VW Engine is air cooled, so works well on small experimental,,,home made air craft...65 hp

Thanks for the memories.

Newscience and blackjack-21 like this.
  23. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    you guys sure know a lot about engines :D

24. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only is it air cooled, but the air from the spare tire on our VW was used to power the spray of the windshield washer, which explains why my spare was usually flat more often then not.

Was the Cessna 140 a tail dragger? More familiar with the 152 and higher.

25. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    120 and 140 was a tail dragger....then came the nifty 150....later came the 152.... Cessna made a lot of good planes.

I had a Piper Arrow after that, and never looked back...

Flyer1976 and blackjack-21 like this.