Rechecking Baggage on Separate Tickets

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by emeraldflyer, Nov 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. emeraldflyer

emeraldflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I have an itinerary travelling CX from Seoul via HK and onto Sydney on Qantas

My travel agent is saying they have to book separate tickets requiring the bags to be collected and
    rechecked in at HK - is it not possible to check all the way through on Oneworld carriers or is the
    separate ticket causing the issue?

Thanks in advance

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's possible not just OW carriers, but can be done on most major carriers on separate tickets. For example, I recently flew from REP to KUL on Malaysia Airlines connecting on a separate ticket on LH to BKK and I had my baggage checked all the way through to BKK in REP.

Just provide a copy of your separate itinerary to the CX rep in ICN and ask them to interline your bag to SYD. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

sobore likes this.
  3. emeraldflyer

emeraldflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it absolutely can be done with most carriers who have an interline agreement it is worth noting that more and more airlines are setting policy whereby they are not willing to do so. I believe BA, for example, won't do it even on two different BA tickets.

So it can be done but it may depend on getting a sympathetic agent rather than as a matter of course.

5. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite so - I have had Bloody Awful refuse to check bags through to United (although I had J-class tickets on both carriers) and although they most certainly have an interline agreement.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA is notorious for this, but thanks to government regulation (as the excuse), DL and other USA-based carriers are joining the club. There isn't even an exemption for previously purchased tickets. There will be big messes over the new policies starting in mid-January. A consequence will be that people will be forced into fares that can be combined in a single PNR, sometimes requiring the services (for a fee) of a travel agent to ticket. These tickets will cost more and we'll see more people avoiding checked baggage, especially for long or complicated trips.