Recent MP value; 1-2-3

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by redtailshark, Apr 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although the rescissions are disappointing, especially the RDM-earning changes that really reduce the benefit for most cost-controlled travel, MP does still deliver significant value.

1. Last week, I flew several domestic sectors including that 789. I was upgraded at the T-96H window and then T-48 for the following 739. The return didn't look good because of heavy FCM action on the 320 (only one pax shown as "upgraded" on UA.COM, all other seats must have been paid F/FCM) and some kind of event in my destination city causing generally heavy loads. But after boarding as the #2 on the UG list, I received a battlefield UG just prior to door closure. Yes, yes, it was a 320 and the flight wasn't overlong, but at least the system was followed. Other pax noted this: one guy tapped me on the shoulder as he disembarked and asked me "GS or 1K? Saw the last-minute UG, just wanted to know." 1K seemed to satisfy him. Probably a quick shena-check, maybe he's here reading this now ;)

2. Applied GPU's to LH-issued TATL ticket for Shark and fam after finding a flight with R>3 and booking in an upgradeable class. All processed immediately, no trouble no drama. This simple success contrasts with the ongoing mess of instrument-supported upgrades over at DL SM.

3. Booked a short-notice one-way TATL award in Y to return Ms Shark to the salt mines after Shroud viewing time. Alternative paid itins were either gigantically expensive and/or totally inconvenient for return to mines.

This was all facilitated by MP. In spite of the uinimaginative race-to-the-bottom tactics of UA mangement, MP's overall product is still significantly better than DL SM. As we all know by now, DL SM can only be described one way. Who knows for how long, but at the moment, some MP aspects still work well and they improve the travel experience.

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know anything about DL Silver Medallion, but as a no-status -> GS pax over the last 16 months of travel, I've been generally very satisfied with UA MP. The various phone desks have been helpful, the upgrade system (both CPUs and RPUs/GPUs) seems to work well, and I get good rewards for just doing what I would already be doing: flying.

3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You didn't get the memo? You are not supposed to be satisfied with UA, you need to be continually angry and make long ranting posts on here and FT about how they hate pax because of things such as, they only gave you 4 ice cubes instead of 5. :)

Flyer1976 and Garp74 like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not at all surprising that most aspects of MP remain the same as before the move to the r-b.s., since the only thing drastic about the move is in how one earns redeemable miles. While MP sans-reduced-RDM remains overall a very good FF program, it may be the only bright spot for a company that continues to be plagued by operations and service shortcomings...

I do not know what the service will be like for my LGA-ORD flight tomorrow morning but MP has delivered as I got notified last night that I'd cleared a CPU when I was not even thinking about it...;)

Oops! Correction my LGA-ORD flight isn't until Saturday (somehow I thought today is Friday!), so that the CPU cleared more than 48 hr before the flight.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    stephenbgarvan likes this.
  5. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow...I just compared two identical flights I took...one in Jan the other this week

Jan flight
    Lax-syd
    Total miles 14974
    Base miles 7487
    Bonus miles 7487
    Pqm 7487

This past week
    Total miles 7194
    Base miles 3270
    Bonus miles 3924
    Pqm 7487

That's a SIGNIFCANT CHANGE and it's only Now that I'm fully appreciating how jacked up the new system is.

Time to go chase platinum on QF (hit gold two weeks ago after joining their program in Frb) then seeing if AA will do a status match

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just flew MEL-LAX-IAH-ATL and traditionally would have earned an easy 20k miles as a Premier 1K but will only earn 3.6k for that itinerary. :(

redtailshark likes this.
  7. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes true...but you won't have as much of a problem as you think..... because, whereas in the old days you would have redeemed 100s of K of MP for GF MEL-LAX or v.v., soon the GF cabin won't exist and therefore you won't need as many MP as before. Jeff solves your problem effortlessly :D

Garp74 likes this.
  8. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now THAT's funny!