recent aa fare sale experience

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by abk, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been looking to buy two stl-lax ticket for April. There was a fare sale that ended last week that had the flights I wanted for around $350. I booked them and then kept re booking them each day and then on the day the fare sale ended the tickets went down to $304. I have been re booking them each day since then waiting for another fare sale and today Aa announced another one. Now that they are on sale the same ticket I booked yesterday is now $369.40. Note that it is not just the flights I want but all flights that day. The question is that if you announce a fare sale, then is it false advertising or some other comparable problem to actually charge more than you were charging before or after the sale began?????? I bought them at $304.

2. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    First lets avoid the false advertising roar, the norm is for air tickets to based on a formula of historical demand AND actual bookings. Since actual bookings for city pairs and dates fluctuate at least daily, the airline can only base fare sales on historical data. I often find bookings cheaper then announced fare sales if many of the low fare buckets remain unsold after or towards the end of the sale dates. A recent LAX-LHR-LAX booking I have been tracking has steadily declined in price since the end of a "LAX deals" notice I received. Never have done the booking and holding and booking and holding that you are doing. I just keep checking prices online at different times of the day and keep checking the prices at different days of the week for that same date and route I want until I find a price that is reasonable to me.
    Now if your the type whose goal is to find the absolute lowest fare AA Revenue control has or will ever post for a specific city pair and date then I would think paying for a subscription to EF and listing some fare alerts would be a better use of your time.

TuesdayMass and KimK like this.
  3. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to turn this into a debate but I do subscribe to EF and for the last several years I have qualified for EXP on points and miles. The fares I was looking at were in the same fare bucket but the "price" for that bucket was higher during the two sale periods then it was in the non sale period. The question to me is whether an advertised sale price should be lower than regular price. Recognizing that airline seats are a different type of commodity makes this a more difficult question but I am fairly sure that a different type of retailer could not act this way.

4. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100%, unfortunately there are indeed folks who just will not comprehend an air ticket product and who spend countless hours shopping to find that very lowest fare - my mother-in-law use to drive all over town to save a nickel on Bounty paper towels never mind both her time and the gas involved in the ordeal. There is no explaining it, live and let live!

5. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    you couldn't have described me better. you know how hard it was to get 6 plus million miles doing that?

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.
  6. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha...

I'm with you, often you fall for the marketing hype thinking the announced "sale" will get you the best deal, and unfortunately that is hardly ever really true!

7. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    determine what YoU think is a good fare for that route and then jump on it when it goes less than that
    that really becomes a no lose situation

8. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airlines are all about slight-of-hand and snowing the consumer, IMO - whether it is about codeshares and "change of gauges: gouges, Revenue Management algorithms trumping sales fares, writing terms and conditions and Conditions of Carriage that are unbelievably one-sided and kick the consumer where s/he sits. So, sites like this exist to help even the odds, along with tools like FareCompare, etc.