Received my renewal HH "Gold"card in snail-mail today

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by kansaskeith, Feb 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on last year's (free) Amex HHonors card spending.

Once again they are renewing for two years. Old card that I just cut up tonight, based on 2010 spending, was good through 3/13. New one, based on 2011 spend, is good through 3/14. Yes, 2014 - the Mayans would be shocked!

There has been talk of this two-year practice on this Forum before. It's not technically what I read the rules to say, but it is what happens nonetheless. And there has also been talk of "closing the loophole," but obviously as of today's mail it is still loopy.

If I can get enough places where I have used Master Card to take my new Hilton Amex "Surpass," I may well be "Diamond" a year from now, but if not, it's nice to know my "Gold" doesn't expire for almost 26 months.

OY-JFS, MLW20, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually its been discussed extensively both here and elseswhere and despite conclusive evidence ( despite being denied by some including by one of HH programs most cyncical detractors posting here ) the fact is a clear pattern has been established.
    On there other hand I have (recently) made a mental note to try and limit my discussion regarding specifics on the topic from fear that this benefit becomes too well known and HH decides to modify it to conform with the "letter of the law" as outlined by the T&C.
    I will go on to say however that when something occurs three years in row I cannot in good faith still consider it "loophole"

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is strange, my spend based Gold was achieved around October last year. Card received shortly after that with expatriation of 2013. Interesting, maybe the strategy would be to wait until the end of the year to reach the spending goal.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and I almost didn't post this thread at all, knowing that no matter what I said about the Hilton Amex card, newbluesea would find some way to pick apart my choice of words.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might be becasue you made the spend on old card +1 year gold then you upgraded to surpass +1 year gold. That is what happen to me and I went from March 12 to march 14.

6. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What impresses me most is there are people who actually get cards from HHonors! I joined four years ago and immediately got the blue card. I've became gold 3 years ago and have been diamond for the last two, and I never received a new card.

mtlfire likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Come on now.. its nothing personal :).. its just my opinion. If you search there was an extensive and pretty contentious discussion on FT about two or so years ago when this first surfaced. One member who was pissed that this was occurring as opposed to the normal stay/night/points qualification he either wrote or e-mailed HH about this and posted their quite ambiguous response.. that even got him more pissed ( and suspended from FT) .
    But the fact remains that HH has known about this for going three years and although they have modified it somewhat, there is at least a quite predictable way of getting the additional year status (its actually outlined in a post in this very thread:))

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get one either last year after I renewed Gold via the Visa promo, and I emailed them to (a) confirm the new expiration date of status and (b) to request a new card. It took about six weeks to arrive.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hah! I saw this in the hot topics list and clicked in to express the same sentiment. I request a card every once and a while, but it never arrives!

NYCUA1K likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went without a card for a few years, despite multiple emails requesting that one be sent to me. Then, one day I decided to get to the bottom of it all. I called Diamond desk and I requested to speak with the supervisor. I told her how I, as a loyal HHonors member as reflected by my Diamond status, was very disgusted that I could not get a simple request to send me a membership card honored, despite multiple requests and promises. She said that she did not know why but would try to find out right then. She came back with what appears to be the correct information: The reason they did not send my membership card at home is that in my "Preferences" I had requested that I not be sent any snail or land-based mail (I just did not want a bunch of promotional material clogging my mail box). Because my membership card had to be sent by snail mail, my preference setting overrode the request from a CSR to send me a card! She reset the preference and I have been receiving a card for a couple of year now (in fact, I got the 2011 card sent to me twice). And, I have not even been receiving the tons of promotional material that I had feared...

So, please check you settings!

OY-JFS and Bluto like this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any guidance on where that checkbox is? I do not see any options for postal mail at all.

12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received my Hilton HHonor Gold card today in the mail. I got gold status from something I signed up for a couple of weeks back.

kdw038 and goalie like this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not do anything. The supervisor set my account to where it would allow me to receive snail mail, as well as membership card, and it worked after multiple failed tries. To make sure, please call HH, but it is related to your preference on getting promo material by the snail mail.

[This post has been edited to quote the right poster it was responding to]

14. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really sure what you mean??? I did not earn HHonors Gold status due to stays last year. There was a promo that I signed up for that gave me status until March 2013. All I said was that my card came in the mail today.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I quoted the wrong post. Wanted to quote the one aboe yours. I will edit, but I am about to submit a polling question to which your response would be of interest...stay tuned

16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    And mine just game recently, too. Also 3/13.

traveler and NYCUA1K like this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, this is still not an established thing. However, we can get a sense for the reality using MilePoint's nice polling utility. How about we run a poll? First choice: who has gotten a 2-year extension based on Surpass spend. Second choice: in which quarter did they requalify. Seems to me like that is the best way to kill two birds with a single stone: we'll get a sense for how many people here got the 2-yr extension, and we'll try to establish what is special about those who got the 2 years.... I think I know why, and had already explained it ad nauseam.

Disclosure: I am the guy you just referred to in your post, who got suspended from FT over this. In fact, you got it all wrong -- backwards, actually. I get my Diamond status by spending $10k a year. Why would I begrudge those who must spend $40K/yr? For the same spend, I would requal for Diamond for 4 years in a row. Got it?

So here it is: I had emailed HH to find out whether they were aware of a two-year extension on the Surpass, and they replied to say that "no, there was no such thing." I posted the reply and, then, suddenly, I was verbally assaulted and taunted by those who wanted so much for this to be for real that after mulitple requests that they stop (even appealed to the "moderators" who simply told me that some of the posters had been there longer and were "trusted"), I lashed out at someone and I was suspended. Thank God for the lack of "moderators" here!

So, newbluesea, I already knew you as one of the "rabid" taunters from the "unmentionable site", but I did not care to bring that stuff over, as I held no grudge like you falsely surmised. It simply does not matter to me. I tried to make sense of a situation and I was assaulted verbally and attributed to intentions that I did not have. However, that is the nature of the discourse over at the "other site". You and I have posted in the same threads for a while here: How crazy am I? In fact, I find you to be one of the "reasonable" posters here, even advancing my theory that the secret to getting the 2-year extension is to re/qualify later during the year ;). BTW: Did you get two more years. You have not said anything about it since promising to.

So:
    Take the poll that I just posted (HH Forum). It is open to ALL Surpass holders: Three responses - yes, no; and if yes, indicate quarter of requalification.

Gotta get some Zs so that I can take my early p.s. to LAX tomorrow.

Cheers!

18. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    very nice! not sure i'll put this status to use but for filling out a form online why not have it!

NYCUA1K likes this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both of the above cases got the regular 1-year HH status extension: qualified in 2011, held for all of 2012, up to March of 2013...

20. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case perhaps my two-year extension through March 2014 is because I both charged $20 K on my "regular" Amex HH card in 2011 *and* I upgraded to "Surpass" this New Year's Day. Who knows? Paris Hilton did not enclose a handwritten note, or autographed photo, explaining it.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do know that in past years, based on 20K regular Amex card spending alone, they were setting me "Gold" for two years more at a time. But one of those times, halfway through the two years I got a new card dropping me to "Silver," even though I had by then had another 20K spend. I raised all sorts of Cain and got a real jerk at Hilton on the phone. But finally I reached somebody at Amex who called her contact at Hilton and got back to me saying the HH computers had me at "Gold" all the way through, and that the "Silver" mailing must have been an error. It seems all systems have their glitches. . .

Kalboz likes this.
  22. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me preface this by saying I make no apologies for my posting style/content whether here or elsewhere.

Although I am loathe to continue with this discussion for the very same reason I outlined above, now that it has gotten further exposure IMHO it pretty much guarantees that HH might be forced to make the status year thingy conform exactly to the T & C. so those who have benefited so far, I predict you can kiss it goodbye.

One can only hark back to a similar HH program anomaly which I personally acquired in excess of 200k points without doing anything out of the ordinary but was trumpeted on the boards mainly by less circumspect members and eventually closed down.

If you are indeed referring to the thread on FT which I mentioned previously then my memory of the discourse differs considerably from that as you outlined above. …. but that’s water under the bridge.
    So a couple of points:
    1) There is ample evidence here and elsewhere that the 2 years extension is not limited to an “end of year” requalification kindly note I said “ there is at least a quite predictable way of getting the additional year status”

2) We (mutual account) will qualify comfortably each year either by Surpass spend and/or stays so at this time I don’t much care. My promise made previously regarding the two year thingy involves a family member I know he has qualified, but not having received his card the end date has not been established.

3) The poll might or might not give some indication of the situation.

Finally let me say if anyone here posts a topic which they would rather have responses which only conforms to their point of view or more to the point, would much rather not have MY input do yourself a favor and please state so concisely.. I promise not to jump off the nearest bridge.:)

OY-JFS likes this.
  23. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    And mine, along with goalie-dad's and goalie-sis' arrived today as well. All three are from a similar sign-up as well ;) and are all valid thru 3/2013

24. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

spesalvi likes this.
  25. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    +2 exp of 2013