Receive 500,000 HHonors points when you become a Hilton Grand Vacations Member!

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by chyamor, Oct 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chyamor

chyamor Active Member

Status Points:
  2. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea how much these timeshare deals cost??

3. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is at the bottom of that link. I would think buying the points would be cheaper:)

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MATERIAL IS TO ADVERTISE HILTON GRAND VACATIONS CLUB® VACATION OWNERSHIP INTEREST (HAWAII TIMESHARE PROPERTIES). THE COMPLETE OFFERING TERMS ARE IN AN OFFERING PLAN AVAILABLE FROM THE SPONSOR. Prices of weeks range from US$10,100–US$278,700.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The details say you have to purchase a timeshare interest equal to at least 7k ClubPoints, which then gives you 20k Bonus Points, which you can convert into 500k HHonors points. Convoluted that a single program would have all these different denominations, but whatever. :)

The 7k ClubPoints usually go for around $10-11k in those timeshare sale/exchange sites.

But yeah you can buy 40k points for $400, which would theoretically net you half a million points for $5k -- assuming they don't have any limits on how many points you can buy per year, etc.

Then again, with the timeshare business you would get the points (worth $5k), plus the timeshare (worth $10k) and you can probably turn around and resell the timeshare and recoup your money, plus make a profit since you would basically have the points for free.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    In order to get the bonus points, you have to buy from HGVC. 7K runs $26k - $35k when you buy from them. Some of the cheaper 7K offerings you see on resale sites are good deals, but do not qualify for any perks such as Hilton Gold Elite status or extra points. Other offerings that you see may not be good deals as they are tied to old contracts on old buildings.
    This is not an investment! Do not look for a monetary return. If you like the properties and can use them, HGVC can be a fun thing to do. I have owned for 11 years and have had numerous rewarding stays with them. Financially, there is no reward, but I have gotten my money's worth.

whkento likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well in that case it definitely makes more sense to buy the points outright, if that's what you want... :)

I agree on the timeshare bit though. I purchased one at Harborside in Atlantis when I went there for my honeymoon years ago and eventually got rid of it. I'm currently with RCI and *some* of their properties are actually well worth the money, while others are not so nice.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. strangevine

strangevine Silver Member

Status Points:
    question: when you buy a timeshare, can it be used at multiple sites? Or do you buy a timeshare at one location only?

8MiHi likes this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    HGVC points can be used at all of the HGVC locations as well as through RCI (with a fee). If you buy a 2BR Gold week at Seaworld (5,000 points) you can reserve a 2BR in a Gold week at Seaworld for 7 nights up to a year in advance. As an alternative you can use those 5,000 points to stay in a 1BR in Honolulu during a platinum week, but you can reserve only nine months in advance. You can also split up the points and stay for fewer than 7 nights and for multiple stays. There are many ways to use the points including turning them into HHonors points to stay in Hilton hotels. This is true if you buy from Hilton. They have a couple of old locations that I have heard may have restrictions on how you can use the points if you buy from a reseller.

9. strangevine

strangevine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool. I probably wont buy anything but I just paid $100 to spend 4 nights in myrtle beach (also could have picked orlando or Vegas) and I have to sit through a 2 hour timeshare presentation. They gave me a "free night" voucher and 15,000 Hilton points as well. If this is some kind of setup, I fell for it hook,line,and sinker.

10. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:

Hello strangevine, is that what they offered or this is what you negotiated?
    The deal I ended up purchasing was 2 nights in Vegas for $149+tax with $200 voucher and 15K points. I feel like asking for a refund though. As lots of the T&C were not disclosed. TIA