Rebuilding the Delta SkyMiles Award Chart

Discussion in 'Wandering Aramean Travel Tools' started by Wandering Aramean, May 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earlier this week I wrote about the lack of a SkyMiles award chart and some of the ways that pricing plays for travelers. Getting all the prices available is no longer really viable in many cases because of the way Delta is constructing its SkyMiles Award rates. And that makes things a bit more opaque for consumers which is rarely a good thing. I don’t have a solution to the problem, necessarily, but I have started in on a project to help make things a bit easier. Or at least a bit more transparent.

No award chart? No problem!

A little effort and a kludgy UI can work wonders for identifying what the various rates are on various routes. In many cases there really is only one rate per cabin, but that’s when partners are operating and there is no end-on-end hijinks at play. And even on some routes where it is all partners there can be multiple prices thanks to mixed-cabin itineraries and such. Understanding all the options is a whole lot of work. Just identifying them is challenging. But I’ve got a new resource operating which should help.

HowManySkyMiles.com

Put in your origin and destination countries and it will dump out a list of some of the SkyMiles award rates I’ve found for such itineraries, just like the example above. It is not a fully populated matrix of every country to every other country, at least not yet, but I’m working on getting more data into the system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The results shown represent a non-exhaustive list of what you might pay one way for such an award, including both the points and taxes & fees. Here’s what I show as options from the US to France, for example:

[​IMG]
    So many different rates for the same trip.

There are more options than just what I have in the system right now. Aggregating all the data is not a trivial task. But I’m growing the collection and expect to have many, many more values in the days and weeks to come. In the mean time, snoop around and try to get a feel for what the SkyMiles Award non-Chart looks like today.

The post Rebuilding the Delta SkyMiles Award Chart appeared first on Wandering Aramean.

Continue reading...

iolaire likes this.