Rebooking responsibility of missed connection

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Efilon87, Sep 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone!!

Since I like to think and plan ahead, who would be responsible of rebooking on a One World connection booked on separate tickets? I

am flying on AA137 (DFW-HKG) on Oct 2 which lands on Oct 3 and connects to CX 913 (HKG-MNL). On October 6, I fly on CX 912 (MNL-HKG) which connects to AA138 (HKG-DFW). If either connection becomes missed due to a delay, who would be responsible for rebooking the missed leg? AA was booked with money and CX was booked with BA Avios.

The reason I ask this very basic question is some time ago I was involved in a Star Alliance IROPS at LHR where Air New Zealand landed quite late and I was a missed connection to Alitalia and spent hours trying to get NZ to rebook, when they claimed it was the fault of AZ. I eventually got rebooked after making 4 round trip transfers between NZ and AZ airside desks (in different terminals) since both refused to pick up the phone and call ("Oh, we're not allowed to call another airline...").

As I understand it, it is the responsibility of the delayed arriving airline to absorb cost and rebook. Though I don't know how it works with separately booked tickets in the same alliance.

Thanks!!

~Efilon87

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    On separate tickets it is the travellers responsibility to deal with any missed connection. You may have to buy a new last minute ticket on the next available flight.

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1.

Neither airlines are obligated to accommodate your missed connection. This sounds harsh but this is also why people buy travel insurance.

Technically speaking, when you booked separately, they are not even connections but rather just two flights. Viewed as that, you'll see why neither airline is responsible.

Efilon87 likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    One other thing, if you have checkin luggage, it might not be check through to final destination. You should verify that at your first "leg" checkin in both directions. If the luggage cannot be check through, you will have to pick them up and re-check the luggage.

Efilon87 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the exception that AA will treat inbound flights on OW partners as though they are on the same PNR for purposes of such protections. It is a published benefit last I looked.

NZ and AZ were never in the same alliance so that likely didn't help your situation there.

Flyer1976, Efilon87 and kiwi like this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the OP's flights are on OW partners (even with the recent policy modification by AA) permits luggage check-through on different bookings.

Efilon87 likes this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay... I did some Google"ing" and found this recent thread in FT
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1613996-oneworld-connection-protection-separate-tickets.html

Seems like they can do a through check (which than offers the passenger end-to-end protection) but as they have no way to ensure (enforce) that the two separate bookings are in order so the service is not officially communicated.

Once again, I've learnt something new and useful.

Counsellor and Efilon87 like this.
  8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always buy travel insurance just on the off chance there is a missed connection or my bags don't arrive (on the rare occasion I check bags). And thats what I thought, I guess I was a little hopeful that since they are in the same alliance they would rebook. But hopefully I don't have to cross that bridge.

AA just changed their policy on checking bags through. Since both AA and CX are in OneWorld, the bags will check through. When I check in at SFO, I will need to let the agent know of the separate booking.

I could've sworn that they were both in Star Alliance...Then again that trip was 5+ years ago. :rolleyes:

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone!!