Rear View Cameras Mandatory in the US Starting 2018

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by foxberg, Apr 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, blackjack-21 and foxberg like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    gregm likes this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, however I think many will rely on the cam entirely and forget to use their own eyes altogether.

blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's always a hazard. Supposedly in a decade or so, we'll all have "driverless" "drive-by-wire" cars, where no driver is needed. However, a driver will likely be needed by these "driverless" cars a split-second before an accident, at which time they will relinquish control to the driver! That should be fun to watch...

gregm likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this new world of total automation (in the name of efficiency and/or safety?) I think the potential for the human factor to be removed from anything and everything is a stark reality. Soon, we will be quoted as saying "I remember when we actually did that ourselves."

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had an accident the other day backed in to a car, now I did look, he must have stopped for a text, first one in 10 years,

I orders are back up camera, sometimes backing up is hard to do, we do not back up and park anymore.

Newscience likes this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    After driving for almost 58 years (does Florida still have a Junior License, where you have to drive with a licensed driver in daylight at age 14, or was it 16?) I still really enjoy driving, even in running around the city but not in a slow traffic jam where my patience usually wears then, however the longer highway drives are more to my liking whenever possible, but if all driving eventually goes to a robotic car then the fun will be gone, as I may well be by that time.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  9. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    You still have to use your eyes to view the rear-view camera. And given the ridiculous blind spots to the rear on so many cars these days, a rear view camera is a great tech addition to the portfolio. For some drivers, I'd PREFER that they rely on the cam entirely when backing up.

Newscience likes this.
  10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It used to be that you actually had to turn your head and look to the rear when backing up. Sometimes you even had to turn your head around and look from the other side, but I guess it's now too difficult to do while you're talking on your cellphone at the same time. Nowadays with the fancified rear view camera and side warning lights, beepers and where-do-I-look-now widgets, you're looking forward at the camera in your dashboard while going completely backwards. Definately makes for a safer driving experience ! :rolleyes:

Newscience likes this.