Rear-facing seats in plane ‘safer’

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jul 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://truthdive.com/2013/07/12/Rear-facing-seats-in-plane-safer.html

A former RAF pilot has said that installing rear-facing seats in aircrafts will provide better support for the back, neck and head in the event of sudden deceleration.

David Learmount, operations and safety editor at the aviation news website flightGlobal.com and flight instructor, said that a rear-facing seats was safer in a plane crash, but he warned that airlines will not support such changes due to costs and customer preference, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
    He said that lots of research has been done into and the RAF has rear-facing seats on its transport aircraft as it is safer.

Read More: http://truthdive.com/2013/07/12/Rear-facing-seats-in-plane-safer.html

TravelBear and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, interesting idea and I'm sure it is safer to have such rear facing seats on planes / just like military planes have / but will it fly on commercial planes with passengers? It's the same at trains or on a bus, the forward facing seats are the ones people demand, and I will be honest, I prefer them too.

TravelBear likes this.
  3. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Active Member

Status Points:
    If it is demonstrably safer to face the rear of the plane it should be changed. It amazes me in this world what items we are allowed to chose and what we are not. You are allowed to smoke when it is proven that it will kill you (sometimes very slowly), but we want to ban soft drinks!!! Can anyone say cigarette taxes????

TravelBear and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many people demand choice and call them "lifestyle choices" or "individual choices", I call it "fragmentation" which divides people more and more, this is sold as choices, even when it's the wrong one, other people might call it democracy. I'm even more puzzled about legalized gun ownership, alcohol abuse and as you said, cigarettes, soft drinks or fast food.

Having said this, safety shouldn't be a choice, it's a human right IMHO. Regarding the rear seats, they are possibly much safer than forward seats, but when given the choice people tend to choose the forward seats, letting me believe, in this case it's all about popularity or we think it right, that a choice too, even when it is a more "unsafe" one.

TravelBear likes this.
  5. AJSpark

AJSpark Active Member

Status Points:
    Southwest Airlines used to have backward-facing seats at the front of each plane, in the bulkhead area. They were great for letting a family or a group of friends sit together and enjoy a game of cards or just chat, for the whole flight. Nobody minded going backwards because they were otherwise occupied with fun & games. :)

uggboy and TravelBear like this.
  6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gotta wonder how take off feels when you are rear facing. I imagine it feels as if you are being pulled out of your seat somewhat. Also, I know some folks get a type of motion sickness if traveling rear facing, does the same hold true in a plane? Anyone with any experience with traveling in a rear facing seat?

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only on trains so far or some commuter bus routes, but that's not desirable.

I believe there will be opposition of such seating arrangements on planes, despite the safety benefits.

8. timinbrooklyn

timinbrooklyn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done a lot of rearward facing seat flights. Once you are flying, it's really little different, especially if you are not at a window. BA Club World has about half the seats on a B747 that way round. When you land, it's good to feel a seat back completely protecting you, rather than a seat belt trying to cut you in half, so in a survivable accident, it might just make the difference. I'll take a rearward facing seat every time just for this reason. Also I know that the RAF in the UK always had rearward facing seats in their transport aircraft and also in ones operated by charter carriers to provide additional capacity. Only trouble with the seats facing each other, like SW used to have, is there is nowhere to put your feet. Try putting 3 chairs together and then 3 chairs opposite, at minimum pitch and you will see how uncomfortable it is. Also you will be looking at the people in front of you the whole way. Seat backs can suddenly become more interesting ....

uggboy likes this.
  9. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never had a problem with the rear facing seats that used to be on Southwest flights. The window view was cool....

uggboy likes this.
  10. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, tons, I always pick rear facing seats in United BusinessFirst. I truly prefer them. The feeling upon take off is kind of cool--it's more impressive than in a forward facing seat and might be disturbing to some. Landing however feels comfy because you are sustained by the shell of your seat. As an added benefit, sleeping (on lie flats) is more comfortable--planes fly as a slight angle so being in a rear facing seat puts your head slightly above your feet, which is more natural. And incidentally when you do lay down, you are head first in the direction of travel, which might just seem more logical...

TravelBear and storyteller like this.
  11. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, I feel more comfortable with rear facing. Have always chosen them over forward facing on both BA & United. And Amtrak:)