Really that many elite passengers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by leiserl, Jul 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Just started using Continental and see that there are 30 - 40 elite boarding first. I travel for business twice a month and see that to get silver will take sometime. The people that are supposedly at least silver don't seem to travel all that often to qualify. Does this seem correct and if so, how to you qualify so quickly?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was silver I traveled once a month usually, maybe a short hop SEA-SFO, maybe a longer SEA-IAH-BWI to visit DC friends, and one longer TATL to CDG or LHR. Not all of it was necessary travel, but it was enough that I could just get over the edge each year. As a Gold I've had to do a little more unnecessary travel (mileage runs) but still not that bad. I should make it to 1K this year on UA, but that has required traveling 2-3 times a month, including four MRs and two TATLs.

3. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta, for example, recently had a promotion where you could transfer 50,000 Amex MR points and become an instant Silver. With this promo, one doesn't neet to fly a single flight to become a Silver. Then, they also had a fast track from Silver to Gold or Gold to Platinum by flying an X number of flights. Nowadays, in some airlines, there are more ways than one to become an elite.

druiddation likes this.
  4. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of international trips and not a lot of long domestic trips help. As do bonusses for J and F class on some airlines. Some of us are Million Milers and get "annual" complimentary silver. Then there are the credit card promotions...

5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on you travel pattern, but silver, or first level Elite on any airline, is not that difficult or expensive to achieve. Two trips to Asia will do. ORD-LAX DEQM promo on United this year means three round-trip flights, at just over $ 200 each, would almost get you there. For those flying domestically, 5 round-trip transcons is enough.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying 2 round trip short hops per month, the longest it would take to get to silver would be ~7.5 months. If they're 2 connecting round trips, you'd be silver in under 4 months. Those who fly longer segments would qualify sooner yet. Status earned in 2011 is good through the end of next year and into early 2013.

7. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. IAH-ORD today had 85 people on the upgrade list and 15 upgrades (24 seat cabin).

100.jpg

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. What sort of equipment is used for this route? If it is a 757, that could be half the plane!

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

10. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's nuts!! Absolutely crazy!!!!

11. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a 757-300.

12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming full, closer to 1/3 elite.

Probably the norm on hub to hub routes.

13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe this is true. I once saw the manifest on DEN-ORD and the number of elites was in the 30% - 40% range.

cordray2643 likes this.
  14. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been reported (on FT I believe) that there have been
    transcons out of IAD where all the passengers were elites.

sobore likes this.
  15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While possible, seems hard to imagine 100% on any given flight.

mynameismud likes this.
  16. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When Elite means 30 flights in a year, and the way society has the ability to travel so easily, there are many more elites today than years past.

mikeschu and sobore like this.
  17. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup-I have seen 60-80 on the upgrade list on that route (UA975 to be specific) but also keep in mind that all elites are automatically added to the upgrade list due to Unlimited Domestic Upgrades (UDU) and where bottom level elites pretty much stand no chance of clearing on a flight like 975, they do add to the list

18. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on your travel patterns. I've had times when I've flown 40 segments in a year (a little less than 2 trips per month) with an average distance of about 600 miles - all short-ish hop domestic travel from ORD to the east coast/southeast. That put me at Premier Exec on UA through segments, but not through miles. This year, I have about 59k EQM on 40.5 segments with 3 transatlantic business class trips + a trip out west, in addition to my flights to places like LGA, CLE, PIT, and RIC. This is an unusual year for me in that I typically don't have international (not including Canada) travel. I expect next year to return to "normal". Also, I'd say that 90+% of my flights are usually work-related. I'll usually just have 1-2 personal trips per year, none for mileage running purposes.

Also, welcome to Milepoint!

19. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the first IAH-ORD flight on a Monday. So hugely business-travel heavy.

Plus it makes a reasonable connection to both ORD-HKG and ORD-NRT, so probably some chunk of international connecting traffic in addition to all of the domestic O&D up to Chicago.

The same thing happens on the first (and second) IAD-SFO and IAD-LAX flights on Monday morning (and the later Thursday evening bank as DC gets flows both ways).

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pardon my ignorance but how do we find this upgrade/elite listing on the CO site.

As for so many Silvers, any airline that flies across the Pacific is going to have them because most of these folks will do at least two trips a year to Asia, maybe one to Australia. Add a domestic or two and you've easily crossed 25K. On the other hand, purely domestic fliers require the more normal number of flights to earn that many miles. AC used to have its first elite tier at 18K but was finding just about everyone flying its Australia-Canada flights was becoming Prestige, so the threshold was moved to the same level as other programs at 25K. (Mid-tier is still 35K to make it a bit easier on primarily domestic flyers.)

21. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flight status on CO web site shows upgrade, cleared and standby lists.