Really LHR? Six security checkpoints between T5 and T1?

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by Malbarda, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Malbarda

Malbarda Active Member

Status Points:
    So I was to travel from Paris to Harrogate in West Yorkshire. I did not have complete freedom in airline choice as I was doing this as a stop-over on One World as part of a NY - Paris business trip.

I have done this frequently with Skyteam (Air France/Delta and FlyBe or BMI in the past). But they wanted almost $ 3,000 more for the pleasure vs. BA. I ended up flying Newark - Orly (OpenSkies); Orly - LHR - LBA (BA); and then MAN - JFK (AA).

In an ideal world I would have not booked the BA portion of this itinerary as I was hoping to fly Jet2 CDG - LBA direct but sadly that flight is not available on Saturdays... So it was going to take me 6 hours+ to fly a journey that, when flown direct, only takes 1:20. But hey, I saved a ton of $$$.

So I arrived from an EU Schengen country into LHR T5. Security stop 1: Fast Track access check - boarding pass scan. Security Stop 2: Passport control. No lines so it was easy. But to remain in the Fast Track lane I needed to go around the stairs in a weird, convoluted way. Security Stop 3: something with taking my picture, and another scan of my boarding pass. They also affixed a yellow sticker in my passport. Security Stop 4: baggage scan. Done - I was now in the bowels of T5 and could proceed to the bus transfer for T1.

Upon arrival at T1, Security Check 5: another scan of my boarding pass. Security Check 6: again taking my picture, and again scanning my boarding pass, and now they removed the sticker from my passport. Luckily no further baggage scan.

That is 6 Security Checks for one transfer. I get the passport check. After all, the UK is not REALLY a European country (and in the future might not be one at all, officially). But what is it with the double picture taking? The mysterious yellow sticker? I know the UK has fallen on hard times, but this whole process seems to be uniquely designed to keep a lot of people in meaningless jobs (and ticket scanner machine and peripherals suppliers in business!).

Did I not read somewhere that LHR is the most expensive airport for taxes/landing fee's in Europe (The World)? And did I read that fee's are set to increase again? After this experience, which on a quiet Saturday with no weather or other events to slow things down went pretty smoothly, I am not surprised!

MX and iolaire like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    This ordeal reminded me of memorable 2 lines from an old "Beavis & Butthead" cartoon:
    Beavis - "Hey Butthead, where's England?"
    Butthead - "It's where everything sucks".

But seriously, trains should make a much easier and pleasant journey for that route.

3. Malbarda

Malbarda Active Member

Status Points:
    M7VO: Trains were not an option this time as I was doing the stop-over thing. Besides, trains are so ridiculously expensive between anywhere and anytown, UK. I have flown LBA - London return for less than a cheap, pre-booked rail ticket between Harrogate and Kings X return (since BA started operating the route).

Today, I had the pleasure of paying GBP 32 for the journey Harrogate - Manchester Airport in cattle. I was lucky that the person whose reserved seat I took never showed, otherwise I would have paid that money for the pleasure of standing for an hour.

I know the Brits are proud to "grin and bear it" but I find the trains in the UK nothing to grin about and utterly unbearable.

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, thanks for the update. I haven't ridden British Rail in quite a while.

5. evanderm

evanderm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Digging up an old thread here, but why did you mess around in T5? As soon as you got off your flight from Paris you should have been able to transfer to T1 and do all the checks there. http://www.heathrowairport.com/heat...ternational-connecting-to-terminal-1-domestic

The photo taking is because you mix with international passengers. The gate agents check that you actually are the person who cleared the border rather than someone else who entered the same area but did not see UKBA first.