Real "push" Gmail/Google Apps email on your phone

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by adambadam, Jun 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am just going to throw this out there since I just found out about it this week (or at least that sometime in the last year it started to support email), though Google offers a service called Sync which enables an Exchange account for your mobile phone or iPad to sync with your Gmail/Google Apps account. The upside here is that you get real push email as opposed to fetching every 15 mins or so and you can also get better calendar and contact sync if you use those services though Google as well. The one down side for me is that you cannot customize the deleted mailbox behavior and it defaults and is not configurable to anything other than archiving the message which is ultimately what I do with my messages anyways though I digress.

Anyways it was easy to set up on my iOS devices and you can find out more info here http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

savydog and Chimpy like this.
  2. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool must try this.

Chimpy likes this.
  3. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    No push for BlackBerry but obviously that doesn't really matter ;)

4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    if its gmail, BIS does push, if its apps you can run BES Express.

someday i will stop being a bb apologist.

5. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, which is why Google Sync doesn't care about implementing push.(a bit of an annoyance for me as my t-zones data plan prevents me from using the BIS APN)

6. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used Google Sync on my BB (long gone now) well before BIS had any calendar/contact sync for Google accounts. And frankly, even after BIS did include that, I still preferred Google Sync for its ability to sync multiple calendars.

I was able to sync from two separate Google calendars to my BB calendar without any problems. Could do the reverse equally well. One was personal, was one work related. I later added in a third when my wife and I began sharing a calendar. Still worked flawlessly. :) I did this while still only having one Gmail account set up on BIS.