Ready to book award NYC - DPS / BKK - NYC. What to do now?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to book 4 economy seats from NYC to DPS leaving pretty much any time in July and returning about 4 weeks later BKK to NYC (as an open jaws itinerary, we'll get ourselves between DPS and BKK).

The only award booking I've done before was NYC-CUN direct, booked on-line.

What do I do now? Call AA and have them look for availability? Or is it like Delta where it's pretty much incumbent on me to find availability? If so, how do I go about doing that?

2. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would look for award availability through BA's site. It will show Cathay, Japan, And American availability as well as BA.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    DPS/BKK will require calling into AA, so get a cushy chair to relax in. It won't be a quick 5 min phone call. :)

The AA agents will help you look for availability, but it goes much easier and much smoother if you have dates in mind, and even better if you are fairly certain there is availability on your dates.

As mentioned above, try using an online service like BA.com, or even pay services like ExpertFlyer/KVS/AwardNexus to identify routes and dates that have availability.

LarryInNYC and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  4. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only problem with ba site is that you will get tons of BA flights unless you get an empty date. That can be a pain because you would be flying BA metal and you would have to pay those YQ fees.

You will probably need to do JFK-NRT-HKG-DPS. It is tough finding reward flight space to DPS.

I would def keep checking BA.com or if you have EF create an award alert.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have usually worked under the assumptions that (a) my travel dates might not be that flexible and (b) availability will be whatever it is, so regardless of what availability might be, I will do a search for the best way to get to my destination with my alliance on specific dates, carefully noting flight times and the carrier for each segment; then I would get on the horn with that information and have a CSR determine what is available, substituting other carriers/itins where there is no availability. I think that it helps to plan and then letting a CSR handle the actually booking...

LarryInNYC likes this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA is not showing availability to DPS during July and they do show the Cathay flights that qualify for AA awards in September, so that's not looking good.

For the BKK leg, BA seems to favor routing via Europe, even if it's partially or entirely on non-BA airlines. AA won't allow that routing (I think).

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    What airline is that NRT routing with?

8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no problem calling AA, it's just that I've heard so many stories about customer service reps not being able to find or book dates and flights that people are able to find on their own.

I think I may need to try Expert Flyer. Is that the best service for finding award availability on AA partners?

9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found that AAgents are quite good in finding awards. I do a half dozen bookings a year to CGK/DPS using AA miles on Cathay. Usually F all the way if they have that service, or J on the HKG-CGK/DPS segment if that's all they have.

I can't recall ever spending more than 20 minutes on any booking. I had no problems finding J/F inventory for June and July when I booked last year. I try to book out as far as possible, and think I booked these in September.

10. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    You would need to do JFK-ORD on AA and then ORD-NRT on Japan Airlines.

NRT-HKG and HKG-DPS would be Cathay.

Have you called yet?

LarryInNYC likes this.
  11. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would try leaving/arriving from different airports. You might have more luck if are flexible and can arrive CGK, SIN or KUL. It's very cheap to get around from these cities to/from DPS using air Asia or tiger air.

Also consider searching from diff. US departure cities, Chicago, Dallas, lax, SFO. It might be easier to get from JfK to one of these cities, lay over a night or two and fly to your destination.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It can certainly be a hunt and peck kind of interaction depending on your AAgent and your luck.

Expert Flyer is a good service but they do not allow searching on some of the partners you'll want/need for this itinerary. KVS or Award Nexus would work better if you want to go the direction of a paid service and not rely on the free options.

As mentioned above, most of us have been able to make our trips work, it just requires some time, flexibility, and patience.

Have you considered starting in BKK and ending from DPS if you can't find the availability for the opposite itinerary?

OP doesn't need to connect in the US to get to NRT if there is space on the NYC flights: JL metal from JFK-NRT, or AA metal going JFK-HND.

Also JL flies HND-HKG and NRT-HKG as well. Good to have all the options on the table.

13. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    Redemption:

JFK New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
    HKG Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
    MON 16 Jul 2012

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Availability
    --------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- -------------
    CX 845 JFK 01:30 HKG 05:20 +1 77D 0 FS1 CS0 YS0
    CX 841 JFK 10:05 HKG 14:05 +1 77H 0 FS2 CS2 YS4
    CX 831 JFK 14:55 HKG 18:55 +1 77H 0 FS2 CS0 YS4
    CX 889 JFK 22:40 HKG 06:55 +2 77H 1 FS0 CS2 YS0

LarryInNYC likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Was this for me or the OP? I'm not looking for seats currently. :D

LarryInNYC likes this.
  15. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Don't forget to use the correct Copy option to ensure proper post formatting ;):

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.3/Diamond - Axess: Awards/JL-OneWorld]
    Code:
    JFK  New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
    HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
    MON  16 Jul 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
    CX         845     JFK   01:30     HKG   05:20 +1  77D  0   FS1  CS0  YS0
    CX         841     JFK   10:05     HKG   14:05 +1  77H  0   FS2  CS2  YS4
    CX         831     JFK   14:55     HKG   18:55 +1  77H  0   FS2  CS0  YS4
    CX         889     JFK   22:40     HKG   06:55 +2  77H  1   FS0  CS2  YS0

LarryInNYC and Jaimito Cartero like this.
  16. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got off the phone with them.

So far, have the outbound flight on hold to BKK in mid-July. Agent, who didn't seem to want to spend more than 10 minutes looking, could not find any return flights BKK, DPS, or CGK in mid-August.

I have five days of hold to buy the ticket. The agent suggested that flights are loaded daily, so keep calling back (I think she mostly wanted to get me off the phone).

17. trivuong

trivuong Active Member

Status Points:
    I find Qantas tool is much better in this case.