RDU Guide

Discussion in 'RDU/GSO/ILM/EWN/PGV/FAY | North Carolina Airports' started by ma91pmh, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    This post is intended to be an overall guide to RDU Airport covering details of the terminals, transportation options, lounges, parking etc. Please let me know of any content you would like added or changed and hopefully we can make this into a useful resource for what I think is one of the best airports in the USA.

Official Website

www.rdu.com

Terminals and Airlines

RDU has two terminals. Terminal 1 is the older terminal and currently houses Southwest Airlines and AirTran. Once AirTran and Southwest complete their merger, Southwest will be the sole occupier of Terminal 1.

Terminal 2 has recently been rebuilt with the new terminal opening in two phases in 2009 and completion in 2011. Air Canada, American Airlines (and American Eagle), Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines (and Delta Connection), Frontier, JetBlue, United (and United Express) and US Airways operate from this terminal

If you are connecting within a terminal with the same airline generally it will be a short walk to your connecting gate. Within Terminal 2 Star Alliance carriers (UA, CO, US and AC) also have their gates close together. At worst a walk from one end of the terminal to another would be 15 minutes. In the unlikely event you need to connect between terminals then it is a 10-20 minute walk depending on pace between the two terminals and you would need to re-clear security

Parking

RDU has two options for in-terminal parking. Hourly/short stay is closest to the terminal and costs $1 per hour with a max of $24 per day, with both covered and uncovered parking. Daily parking/long stay is just behind this, in easy walking distance of the terminal, and costs $2 per hour with a max of $12 per day. Most spots are covered but there are uncovered spots too. It utilizes a ticket system where you collect a ticket on entry and then can pay for your parking at machine in the parking lot and exit automatically, or you can take the ticket to a manned gate to exit.

In addition there are off-site parking options. Fast-Park-And Relax and Park-and-Fly both have off-site parking that is generally cheaper ($5-6 per day after fees) and require a short (usually around 5-10 minutes) bus transfer. The location of these parking lots are on Lumley/Westgate Road just off the intersection of I-540 and Highway 70 (Fast-Park-And-Relax on the north side along Westgate, Park-and-Fly on the south side along Lumley). Both offer covered and uncovered parking, have free car-wash (typically as long as the temperature is above 45 degrees) and newspapers and bottled water. When you arrive at RDU you need to go to the purple "Pre-Arranged" services stand to wait for a bus

Car Rentals

Car Rentals are off site and require a bus transfer, but the bus transfer is relatively short and generally less than 5 minutes from either terminal.

Lounges

Terminal 2 has an AA Admirals Club, a Delta Sky Club and a US Airways Club. AA and DL clubs are located just past security, turn to the right, opposite gate C3 (usually used by Delta). They are very close to the Delta gates and a 5 minute walk to the American gate area. The US Airways is opposite gate D1 so a left turn after security. The D gates are generally used by Star Alliance carriers (Air Canada, United, US Airways)

Terminal 1 has a The Club unaffiliated pay per use lounge (this lounge is part of the Priority Access network)

[Last update Feb 19 2012]

jpmorgan likes this.
  2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a point, United does still offer mainline service to RDU

3. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I will correct that. I didn't realize. Where to? I thought all the ORD and IAD flights were now UAS

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just ORD and IAD. Its a mix of mainline and express