RDD - City awaits UA decision on RDD-DEN service

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rwoman, Dec 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Redding Record Searchlight: Grant in hand, Redding looks to add new flights; city awaits word from United

Redding is my hometown, although I've never looked at flying in/out of RDD and typically use SFO, SMF, or MFR. They lost Horizon service in 2011...unfortunately...but it tends to be an economically depressed area and I'm not sure how well it supports existing service, let alone would support additonal services. It'd be great to see RDD-DEN service..any thoughts on it really happening?

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be happy when this area wouldn't be economically depressed and wish them all the services they can get or support. Unlike some others on MP, I know what poverty means and I wish it would go away around the world.

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If air service (or any kind of service, for that matter) depends on a government grant or subsidy, what happens when that grant/subsidy goes away? If that's the only thing keeping the service around, and there's no business case for it, I don't think it makes sense for an airline to do it.

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be much more interested to see the service succeed, first with federal grants / subsidies, later with demand from this area which has also received economic stimulation. It's too easy to say, " area = poor, no demand ", here IMHO, demand is there, but not the money, when the economic activity could be stimulated through creating jobs, taxes and businesses, there would be a case of success. That's what I want to see.