RC VISA vs. AMEX FHR BENEFITS

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by mo26, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    First let me apologize if i've posted in the wrong place. I kept searching threads and I couldn't figure out the best place to post this.

Here's the situation, I have Ritz Carlton Gold status, the RC Visa card, and am considering booking a RC property through AMEX FHR.

I know that paying for my stay with any AMEX card is all that's required for the FHR portion. But what i'm wondering is if i'm better off using a "club upgrade" that I have through the RC Visa, as well as $100 credit as a cardholder for stays of two days or more....I seriously doubt I could stack these benefits along with the standard FHR benefits....Just wondering which way to go. (there's no benefit to me in this situation for a stay/night elite credit)

Anyone been down this road before that could shed a little light on this for me?

- MO

tondoleo and dmel like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tricky. Here is what you need to do.

Technically, you need to book directly with Ritz, or a RC Stars agent, to use the club upgrade coupon. FHR bookings aren't eligible.

You should contact a Stars agent (which will get you FHR-style amenities (breakfast, late check out, etc), along with a better chance of an upgrade) who can make the booking with the club coupon.

You aren't supposed to stack the $100 card credit (for a two night paid stay) with the stars or FHR credit...though I have asked nicely and gotten them stacked a few times at check out.

Pm me if you need a referral to a stars agent.

tondoleo, mo26 and dmel like this.
  3. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think technically, only booking with RC directly, using the number on the back of the CC, are eligible for the club upgrade certs. I was told this by a Stars agent and also by CC cust service. Though I know NYB has made it work via Stars agent. And the weird thing is that we use the same Stars agent :eek:!

And, I think Stars + Virtuoso is what you should seek in an agent, when comparing Amex FHR.

tondoleo and mo26 like this.